A Lonely New Years Eve (1996)

This chapter will take place on December 31st, 1996 and January 1st, 1997.

845: INT. NEVERLAND RANCH (LIVING ROOM) NIGHT FADE IN: 

One week later. New years eve, 1996. 

RACHAEL: (to herself) "The day after Christmas, Michael was back on the road. The house was lonely without him, but I planned to return to the tour sometime in the new year." (phone rings) (answers it) Hello? 

PRINCE: (on the phone) Hi Rach. 

RACHAEL: Oh, hey Prince. How you doing? 

PRINCE: (on the phone) Okay. You got plans tonight? 

RACHAEL: No, not really. Michael went back on the road, so it's just me and the kids this year. 

PRINCE: (on the phone) You wanna come by and cut some tracks? Mayte is with her mother so I'm alone here. 

RACHAEL: I would but I don't know how good I'd sound. I woke up with a little cold this morning. 

PRINCE: (on the phone) Come on Rach, please? I'm lonely. 

RACHAEL: Ok, I'll be there in an hour. (hangs up and turns to Latoya) Toy, can you watch the kids? Prince asked me to come over and cut a few tracks. 

LATOYA: Sure but I thought you wanted to take it easy tonight because you're sick.

RACHAEL: I did but he's all alone there, I feel bad. I shouldn't be home too late. (leaves) 

846: INT. PAISLEY PARK (STUDIO) DAY

Later, Rachael goes to Paisley to cut a few tracks with Prince. 

RACHAEL: (comes in)

PRINCE: Hey Rach. 

RACHAEL: Hey. (hugs him tightly) 

PRINCE: Sorry for dragging you out here. With Mayte gone it gets lonely. 

RACHAEL: No, it's okay. I understand. When will she be back? 

PRINCE: Tomorrow night. 

RACHAEL: Good. 

PRINCE: So, you up for recording? 

RACHAEL: I guess so. I really don't know how good I'll sound though. 

PRINCE: Well, let's try a few songs and see how you do, then after we're done we can watch a movie or something.

RACHAEL: Ok. (goes into the booth) 

PRINCE: Let's start with Ticket to Ride. I gotta tell you Rach, I was really surprised when you told me you wanted to record a Beatles song. 

RACHAEL: Well, I thought it would suit me. 

PRINCE: (nods and plays the track)