Something's Wrong

(A/N: The following chapter contains very heavy and intense subject matters that may be triggering to some. Readers discretion advised.)

810: INT. EXAMINATION ROOM DAY FADE IN: 

One week later. September 12th, 1996. Prince and Mayte are having another examination. 

MAYTE: (to herself) "By September, my back was killing me. I switched from kitten heels to sneakers and followed a strict diet, but my body kept bloating bigger and bigger." 

DOCTOR: (rubbing the ultrasound wand on her belly) These ultrasound measurements are off. It's possible that we're seeing a form of dwarfism.

MAYTE: (both she and Prince look at each other and shrug) 

PRINCE: And? 

MAYTE: I'm totally fine with that. That's the least scary thing you've said in months. (to herself) "Of all the possible outcomes that had been offered to us, this was the first one that didn't terrify me." 

DOCTOR: I highly recommend that you reconsider the amnio. There are other genetic abnormalities that can be life-threatening. 

PRINCE: No. We're leaving it in God's hands. 

DOCTOR: Very well. 

811: INT. PAISLEY PARK (LIVING ROOM) DAY FADE IN: 

The next day... 

MAYTE: (talking on the phone with Rachael) How's the tour going? 

RACHAEL: (on the phone) It's going great! But what about you? How are you doing? 

MAYTE: Oh I'm doing okay, but these cramps are kicking my butt. I feel like I'm getting my period. 

RACHAEL: (on the phone) Honey, that sounds serious. Go to the doctor right now, it sounds like you're in labor. 

MAYTE: But this doesn't feel like a contraction.

RACHAEL: (on the phone) Mayte, listen to me. Go to the doctor right now. 

MAYTE: Ok, ok. I will. (hangs up) 

812: INT. EXAMINATION ROOM DAY

Mayte has experienced a possible contraction. 

MAYTE: (to herself) "As the OB prepared to examine me, I jokingly said..." I'm gonna stop wearing underwear when I come in. All you ever do is feel me up! 

DOCTOR: (laughs) Well, you're dilated two centimeters, which isn't that alarming. This is most likely Braxton-Hicks, which is false labor pains. No need to worry, but let's stay in touch and start checking in more often. 

MAYTE: (to herself) "But suddenly my stomach went taut." Oh, look! He's stretching his legs. 

DOCTOR: (looks at her stomach then looks up at her) No. That's a contraction. (hooks her up to a monitor) You're in labor. We need to stop this. We need to check you into the hospital. You're the size you should be at nine months, but it's too early to deliver, and since we didn't do the amnio, we have no idea what we're dealing with.