Christmas (1996)

This chapter takes place on December 24th and 25th of 1996.

843: INT. NEVERLAND RANCH (LIVING ROOM) NIGHT FADE IN: 

One month later, Christmas Eve, 1996. 

RACHAEL: (decorating the tree) (to herself) "Christmastime was finally here. After the year we've all had, it was refreshing to have joy around the house. We invited Prince and Mayte to come over the next day for the kids, to which they agreed, but only for a short visit. Michael had to go back on the road immediately after the holidays. I'd asked to take the last few months off to be there for Prince and Mayte, and because we didn't have any duets, I was able to take as long as I wanted.off." 

PRINCE JR.: When is daddy coming home? 

RACHAEL: (checks her watch) Hm, Daddy's running a little late. I'm sure he'll be back soon. 

A few hours later... 

BILL: (comes rushing in) Rachael! There's a fire at the studio! Michael got out but there was a little boy trapped inside so Michael went back in to save him! 

RACHAEL: What?! Is he alright?! 

MICHAEL: (comes in with an inhaler) 

RACHAEL: (runs to him as tears form in her eyes) Oh Michael, are you alright?! What happened?! 

MICHAEL: (hugs her tightly) I'm okay. The firefighters were late and there was a little boy in the building, I couldn't just leave him. 

RACHAEL: (holds him tighter) Thank God you're alright. 

844: INT. NEVERLAND RANCH (LIVING ROOM) DAY FADE IN: 

The next day. Christmas, 1996. 

RACHAEL: (opening presents) (to herself) "Christmas this year was quiet. The kids were happy with their presents. Prince and Mayte had briefly stopped by to see the kids, but they didn't stay very long. Other than the obvious sorrow that hung in the air, it was a good Christmas."