I hurt you once, now I protect you

Soulmates.

Mikey always thought he didn't deserve one.

Maybe that was the reason why he insisted on wanting Takemichi.

He knew he would never get him and that made him happy.

It also was no secret that in Bonten everyone knew who Mikey's soulmate was Mikey also deep down also knew who it was but he wasn't good enough for them. Sanzu deserves so much better than a broken man like him. Fate may think Mikey is the ideal one for Sanzu but he isn't because he doesn't know how to love someone .

Sanzu Haruchiyo was always following Mikey and had pledged his loyalty to him in their first meeting so really only a blind person wouldn't realize that they were soulmates and if you forced yourself to forget it as Mikey had .

He, Sanzu, always expected the day Mikey accepted him fully as his soulmate but even after years he still hadn't.

It hurt Sanzu more than he wanted to admit but he just wanted Mikey to accept him but he was just ignored which made Sanzu feel that maybe he wasn't enough for his king.

This, both soulmates not feeling like enough for the other, continued until a week after Sanzu turned 27.

Both had been in their rooms getting ready to sleep when they felt like something broke inside of them.

Fate herself broke the red line linking them not thinking of the consequences while also choosing to unite Sanzu's red line with someone new.

Sanzu laughed thinking that his king finally rejected him and that he would never be enough to be loved by anyone if even his own soulmate chose to reject him instead of trying to love him.

Mikey knew he had fucked up but also believed that maybe this was Sanzu's chance to find someone who could shower him in all the love he deserved and that Mikey never could give him.

They had different views of what happened which Mikey slowly noticed and it hurt him that he had broken Sanzu to this point especially when he noticed that Kakuchou had looked surprised the next time he saw Sanzu.

Mikey may have been a shitty soulmate but he wouldn't let Sanzu suffer once more especially in the hands of his new soulmate.

.

.

.

Kakuchou had lost his soulmate and lover when Izana died to protect him.

He never thought of feeling that connection ever again and much less now, twelve years after Izana's death, or from Sanzu.

Everyone in Bonten knew that Mikey and Sanzu were soulmates and it was impossible to break the red line linking them so he didn't understand what happened and why he was involved in this.

At least not until Mikey cornered him one day and gave him a long talk.

Mikey hadn't been wrong in some assumptions he had made when talking to him and made sure he understood to not commit the same mistake Mikey, Draken and even Koko had done with this opportunity he was given with Sanzu never compare your past and new soulmate, don't approach them too late and don't let your own mind stop you from loving them .

He hadn't known how to approach Sanzu but at the end he did and neither really wanted a romantic relationship Sanzu's heart had been broken recently and Kakuchou wasn't in love with Sanzu yet so they started by getting to know each other and see where it would take them.

.

.

.

Bang! Bang! Bang!

Was the only thing Sanzu heard before he fell to ground at the same time Mikey crumbled to ground after putting himself in front of the gunshot that was directed to Sanzu.

"Mikey?" called Sanzu in shock feeling tears fall down his face but his only answer was a sound of pain that made him move to hsi king side and cradle him in his arms

"Sanzu" murmured Mikey and Sanzu looked at him "Don't cry, please" he pleaded

"How do you want me not to cry?" asked Sanzu because they may not be soulmates anymore but they had been side by side for years so it hurt him to see Mikey dying in his arms

"It's okay" mumbled Mikey with a tired smile "I can finally rest and know you will be happy with a soulmate that can give you all the love you deserve" he said and Sanzu looked at him in shock

"What?" mumbled Sanzu, not believing what he heard "You didn't reject me?"

"No" answered Mikey "Fate broke our red line" he added and more tears started to fall down Sanzu's face "Shh, it was for the best-" Mikey started to cough some blood before he continued "I couldn't give you what you needed but Kakuchou can so just try to be happy okay?" he said before he had another coughing fit

"Mikey" whispered Sanzu not knowing how to feel because he still loved Mikey it wasn't the same as before because Kakuchou was slowly capturing Sanzu's heart but Mikey would forever hold a part of Sanzu's heart and he was losing him right now

"I just want you to be happy and loved, Haruchiyo" said Mikey knowing how lost Sanzu may be in his mind "I decided to protect you today because you deserve to be happy as you have been since Kakuchou and you became soulmates so don't blame yourself and push the others way" he coughed some more "Just promise me to be happy so I can leave this world knowing that my last wish will come true"

"I-" Sanzu took a deep breath to not just start sobbing as a little kid "I will try, Manjiro" he finally said

"Love you Haru. I hope in our next life we may be friends once more" whispered Mikey with a soft smile before closing his eyes to never again open them in this world while Sanzu cried even more

That was the sight Takeomi found when he and the others were finally able to get rid of the group who had wanted to kill all of them.

Two weeks later all of the Bonten members found themselves at the funeral of their boss with some of their ex-friends also there.

Two months later Sanzu was finally able to come out of his grieving and take care of Bonten as the new boss.

Six months later Bonten no longer existed and each member had started to live a peaceful and normal life.

One years later Kakuchou asked Sanzu out who gladly accepted because the other had finally captured his whole heart except that little part that still belonged to Mikey.

Two years later Sanzu found himself in front of Sano Manjiro's grave and introduced him to the little baby he and Kakuchou had adopted after finding it abandoned near their apartment. The baby's name was Shinji which meant 'true ruler' and was in honor to Sanzu's and Kakuchou's first soulmates and kings.

Three years later Sanzu could finally say to Mikey's grave that he was happy even if he still missed the other man he just wished that once his own time came that they would both reincarnate and be friends once more as Mikey had said before leaving this world.