Visions

The weekend passed slowly, dredging on and pulling me through the sludge. I hadn't left my apartment, although I continuously felt the pull to run up to Steven's apartment.

While secluded in my own abode, I simultaneously waited for a resounding knock to rap on my door.

But it never came.

Now it was Sunday night, and all I had cared to do was read. And study. And anything else that could keep me distracted from thinking about Steven. Thinking about him made me anxious and worried. I could hardly eat, let alone normally function.

Perhaps it would be wise if I went to his apartment and checked to see if he was home.

I glanced at the clock hanging from the wall above my desk.

10:39 P.M.

It was too late. If I started banging on his door this late at night, I would definitely disturb the entire floor from trying to sleep. I didn't want to bother him or annoy him either.

I closed the book before me. Ancient Egyptian Deities: The Bridge Between Divinity and Humanity wasn't a breeze to read, but I appreciated the challenge it presented. The information was overwhelming and exceptionally interesting.

Suddenly, the lamp illuminating my desk began to flicker in a panic, and immediately following, lights that weren't even on to begin with were flashing out of control.

The floor of my apartment began to vibrate, escalating to a tumultuous rumble. I forced my chair back, freeing me from the desk. Books started falling from the shelves, some of them forcefully flying off and sliding across the hardwood.

"What the hell is happening..." I questioned only for me to hear. I covered my head and darted towards the kitchen to get beneath the table when I was brought to my knees in unbearable pain.

My head pulsed with a sudden torment of agonizing  pain.

I had lived with migraines for years, but this was different.

I fell just feet away from the safety of the table, struggling to breathe, and suffering with no relief. The searing burn grew more intense and my body convulsed under the torture and misery.

Flashes.

Relentless heat of the sun.

A river.

Burning sand beneath my feet.

Large structures emerging in the distance.

Harrowing visions switched behind my eyes, and I felt myself becoming overwhelmed and light-headed. The still images continued to change rapidly.

A dark tunnel.

A torch.

A figure draped in white.

I squeezed my temples and pulled at my hair, weeping from the intolerable pain and terrified from the flashing visions that I had no choice but to witness.

The earthquake stopped along with the visions and I was left on the floor of my kitchen writhing and gasping.

I attempted to stand, only for dark specks to sweep across my line of sight until I completely blacked out.
***
"Yes, this should be good, thanks." I signed a document brought to me from the curation team in the Egyptian department. They nodded and retreated from the exhibit area back to their office somewhere in the bowels of the museum.

This morning, I had been interacting with teams beneath the museum, properly cataloging artifacts and considering how to incorporate more history into the displays above.