Collection

[🌙This chapter contains brief, uncomfortable situations.🌙]

[A/N: This one's a bit long, but I love to spoil you guys! Enjoy! 🖤]
***
"She's really nice, Marc." I began, looking over the dark water, plastered with a kaleidoscope of colors streaming from different places both on the shore and on the boats traversing the waves.

"Hm?" He questioned, not paying attention to the sudden start of conversation.

We had been riding on a small boat, a tiny ferry, to bring us to the private beach where Senfu's sarcophagus was housed. Marc and I had been sitting in comfortable silence, simply enjoying the opportunity to be with one another, and not currently running from something chasing us.

But, we were running towards something instead.

"Layla. She's nice." I tilted my head to catch his expression, seemingly lost in the tranquility of the silent waves and the darkness of the evening.

She had guided us out of the city to a small headquarters where she shared intel of a private benefactor who had previously supported some of her endeavors. Of course, it was all illegal, but through that relationship, Layla was able to confirm that this collector did indeed possess the sarcophagus of Senfu.

Layla even let me borrow some of her clothes because mine had become quite filthy, and more so because Marc and I were going to attend this private party as guests. I ran my hand over the soft material that rested on my thighs, a yellow sundress with off the shoulder sleeves.

I questioned her choice, not sure why she was lending me a sundress while it was nighttime, or the color itself. I even insisted that dark pants and a black t-shirt were absolutely fine, and that this specific combination was my entire wardrobe.

But her answer still makes me smile in appreciation, "Even the moon deserves to stand out next to the sun."

"Oh, yeah. She cares about people, and tries to do right by returning stolen artifacts. I guess that's why worked well together. I handled people roughly and she handled the artifacts carefully." Marc straightened his posture, now directly facing me. "You okay? Since this afternoon, you seem like you have a lot on your mind, sweetheart."

The backside of his hands rested on my thighs as he secured my hands in his own. His thumbs rubbed comforting circles across my knuckles.

"Yeah...it'a just... Just a few days ago, I was ready to start a new career with Steven. I was staying late at the museum and would come back to an empty apartment, and that was my routine, y'know?"

Marc nodded, earnestly listening, and his eyes were intensely focused on my face, which caused me to glance away and try ignore the burning flush of my cheeks.

"I was having strange visions, strange dreams, and I still do. The voice that I would hear continuously...turned out to be the god of the dead. Everything I thought to be true was simply...a lie. And now, I have a husband, I've learned that I've been alive for nearly four millennia...and it wasn't even me living." My lip trembled considering how fast and how much my life had changed since waking up that one particular day less than two weeks ago.

Marc sighed and leaned in closer. "I'm sorry. I can't even imagine what you're feeling or how overwhelmed you are. I'm sorry that we haven't had a moment to really talk about, well, anything. I can't promise that you'll remember everything." He brought my hands to his lips. "But what I can promise you is that I will be right by your side every step of the way. And if there's things that you can't remember, then we'll just make new memories instead."

Every time he spoke, my heart would find another way to expand just enough to fit more love for him inside. I mirrored him and pressed a kiss against his cheek, and he leaned his head towards me, nuzzling my face.