FORTY-FOUR

Inside a room in the building of Paradise Casino & Hotel, Jihyo had been strapped on the chair, sobbing, and begging to be released. She was confused about what had happened and how she found herself in this cold and dark place. She looked around, but she was unable to recognize the room in which she was alone. With all her force, she tried to move, but the rope held her immobile. The roughness bit into her flesh and scratched as she struggled until her skin felt raw and hot.

"Somebody! Help me!!" She yelled, yet her sole voice echoed through the darkened room. 

Before opening her mouth to seek help, she heard a door squeak open, and a shudder ran down her back at the sound. A rattling of metal, like a heavy chain being dragged, had a shiver run over her body, and she felt her blood run cold. Her hands balled into tight fists while she closed her eyes in terror. Panic filled her whole body as the hairs rose on her neck when the footsteps approached her.

"Jagiya...." the voice sent chills down her spine. Han Si Woo's eyes were fixed on the frightened kitten as he walked straight up to her, stopping only an inch before her chair. He did not make a move or sound until Jihyo slowly opened her eyes. The first thing the latter saw was a shiny sharp blade in a man's hand covered by black leather gloves. Slowly bringing her eyes to the face, Jihyo gasped when she met the man's fierce glare.

"You...." She could not finish her word when the man bent down until they were at eye level. He was the same man who had approached her and offered her to have a drink with him earlier.

"Yes, jagiya. It's me again." The mafia leader smirked at her. 

Jihyo stared at the man for a few seconds.

"Wh-who are you? What do you want from me?" She dared to ask the man who looked like a maniac.

Another evil smirk formed on the man's lips before he grabbed her chin, his fingers digging hard into her cheeks. She groaned in pain and lashed at the evil mafia leader.

"Did Kim Namjoon send you here to spy on me?" He growled in a very deep voice. 

Jihyo stopped struggling for a moment as she seemed surprised by his question. After a few seconds of silence, she shook her head and started to fight back again.

"No..no... I'm not spying," she repeated while shaking her head left and right, her long messy hair covering her sweaty face in the process. 

Han Si Woo had expected such an answer. Who would be stupid enough to accept their treason? Everyone would lie until there was nothing left to lie for. 

Letting go of her cheek, he moved his hand downward, prolonging the suspense before grabbing her throat firmly with his hand and squeezing it. She choked and sputtered, but she could not escape his unyielding grip.

Jihyo's cheeks puffed while she emitted a gurgling sound. When Han Si Woo noticed that she was starting to lose consciousness, he let go of her throat. Her head rolled back as she panted, trying to take deep breaths, yet she struggled with it.

"Please...don- don't do this to me..please," she coughed violently, her chest heaving.

"Are you working with Kim Namjoon?" he asked his hostage again.

"No. I don't know what you are talking about."

"Don't fucking lie to me, bitch! I know everything about you!" His voice roared in the dark room. Shaking her head all over again, Jihyo looked straight into the mafia leader's eyes.

"No! I'm telling the truth. I didn't work for Kim Namjoon. But I'm his girlfriend." 

Confused, he let out an annoyed huff. Officer Kim Taehyung told him that Aera is Namjoon's girlfriend. Was the officer tricked him? However, he only trusted his loyal men more rather than anyone who have connections with his rival.