SIXTY-EIGHT

Namjoon's flight arrived safely at Seoul International Airport, as a driver was already waiting to pick him up. He felt so happy that he could finally reunite with his friends and girlfriend. He smiled broadly and looked at the black paper bag he had brought with him. It was a special gift he bought in France for his girlfriend. He could not wait to have her back in his arms.

Namjoon dashed to the second villa to see Aera as soon as they arrived but he was greeted by silence when he entered the living room.

"Baby, I'm home!" he said, sprinting upstairs to their shared room.

"Aera," he said, opening the door. A sudden cold breeze brushed against his skin, and strange feelings spread everywhere. The room was empty, and Aera was nowhere to be seen. He couldn't smell her perfume in the room; only the smell of a long, abandoned room bothered him.

"Baby, where are you?" he asked, opening the bathroom door, but she was not there either.

"Where is she?" he mumbled as he looked out the window at the first villa. He assumed she was in the villa, preparing meals for him or working out at the gym. He smiled, dashed down, and walked to the first villa.

"Baby." However, the kitchen was empty. His second option was the gym. Wasting no time, he ran there, hoping to find her. When he opened the door, he was welcomed by silence once again. He headed to the living room, where he found all of his friends gathered but Aera was nowhere to be found. His heart thrummed hard when he couldn't find her anywhere. He saw Seokjin with the team, and it was strange to see Seokjin not going to work as he usually did.

"Jin Hyung, why are you still here?" Namjoon inquired, but Seokjin did not immediately respond. 

"Can someone tell me where is Aera?" Namjoon asked, but none of them dared to open their mouth.

"What's wrong with you guys?" Namjoon raised his eyebrow, feeling uncomfortable with their unusual behavior. Namjoon looked at each of his friends with the most devastated look on his face. Seokjin gave Namjoon an inexplicable look. The leader could discern something had happened by the way the attorney was withholding information, and he despised that.

"Where is she?!" Namjoon's voice rang out as the leader's patience dwindled. Seokjin stood up from his seat, his gaze fixed on the leader. The attorney gulped nervously, his throat tight and painful.

"She's gone." Namjoon's face turned blank and hard at the exclamation.

"Gone...? What do you mean, 'gone'?" Their heated gaze was fixed on each other. Silence filled the air as Namjoon waited for the response.

"Aera is dead." The words were clear and final. Namjoon stood motionless in his spot. His thoughts whirled around in a frenzy as he tried to process what he had just heard and shook his head.

"No! Do you think you can trick me with this stupid prank? Don't hide her from me." He scoffed at Seokjin.

"Aera!" He called her name and turned around, but Seokjin grabbed his wrist.

"Namjoon," Seokjin said, yet Namjoon brushed his hand away from him. "Let me go!"

"Listen to me first, okay?" Seokjin tried to calm the leader down.

"What? Do you think it's funny to do this to me?!" the leader snapped.

"Do you think I'm joking about someone's death? Han Aera passed away, Namjoon." Those words just made Namjoon feel sick in his stomach.

"No, you lie to me!" He yelled at Seokjin; he felt his temper slip away from him as he breathed angrily.

Seokjin did not flinch at the scream, as if he was prepared for what was coming. Seokjin took out a piece of paper from his suit and grabbed Namjoon's wrist before placing the report in the latter's hand.

"It's no use for me to lie to you, Namjoon-ah." Seokjin expressed his emotions by gripping the leader's shoulder so tightly.

Namjoon glanced at the hand on his shoulder before returning his gaze to the attorney. Their heated stares were fixed on each other. Namjoon recognized those expressions. It was exactly the same when Seokjin told him about his father's death. It was a moment he never forgot for the rest of his life. And today he saw it again.

Namjoon's blood felt like ice in his veins. He shook his head and tried to deny everything, but the grip on his shoulder tightened as the attorney nodded at him. With trembling hands, he opened the letter and read the entire contents. His chest rose and fell rapidly; each breath was ragged and quivering.

"Aera..." he gasped, a single tear falling from the corner of his eye. "How...? Wh-why?"

Namjoon forgot to breathe for a moment. His vision was blurred by unshed tears as the awful truth gradually dawned on him. He felt the world around him was falling apart. 

"No!!!!" Namjoon wailed, his knees almost gave away, and he almost fell to the ground. Seokjin grabbed his weak body and ushered the leader to sit on the couch. Seokjin pulled the leader into his arms, knowing Namjoon must be consoled.

.
.
.

"Han Aera, the daughter of a billionaire whose life was tragically cut short at the tender age of 26 in a horrifying car accident."

Her death was widely reported in the city. While her friends mourned for her, Han Si Woo had been waiting for the day to come. Just a day after the doctor released the official DNA statement of the victim, Han Si Woo called his lawyer to confirm the date of the testament reading. The next day, the wicked mafia leader went to the hospital to bring back Aera's body, accompanied by his attorney. They were greeted by a group of reporters at the entrance, ready to interview him.

"Han Sajangnim, how did you feel when you found out about your daughter's death?" One of the reporters approached him.

"Nothing can explain how I feel right now." He refused to continue, putting on sunglasses to hide his sadness. The mafia leader feigned despair.

"Sajangnim, I've heard rumors that your daughter has been kidnapped before the incident. Is that true?" Another reporter posed an unexpected question, causing an uproar among them as they were eager to discover the truth.

Still displaying a sad expression, he said, "I don't want to cause a stir, but it's true. My daughter was kidnapped." All the cameras were focused on him, revealing the shocking truth.

"But why there was no report of the kidnapping filed? Do you know who the kidnapper is?" the reporter asked again. Han Si Woo stayed silent for a moment, as regret crept over him. If he revealed who the kidnapper was, the reporters would never stop digging for information, and all his illegal activities would be exposed. He looked at Choi Byeonhosanim, signaling for the young attorney to speak on his behalf.

"I let my lawyer handle everything. Excuse me," he declared, hurrying away.

Meanwhile, Jae Chul watched the live news with a fervor for retaliation. Han Si Woo displayed no remorse for his immorality. All he cared about was money and power.

"Hwejangnim, Han Si Woo has set the date for the testament reading," the manager announced to the chairman after Jae Chul turned off the television.

"Yes, I know. Have you prepared all of the documents I need?" Kang Bujang handed over a sealed document to the chairman.

Jae Chul glanced at the manager before keeping the document in his suitcase. "What about the private jet?"

"I've already booked it for you."

"Make sure nobody knows about this," the chairman stated the manager.

"Yes, everything is under control, Hwejangnim." Kang Bujang notified.

"He must be dancing happily to his victory right now, but he doesn't know that he's digging his own grave." Jae Chul's lips curved into a sinister grin.