28 the river in reverse

"God, what smells like a wet dog?" Evanora grumbles and walks into the room where her two siblings sit. "Oh, it's just Niklaus," She teases and runs a hand through her hair, taming the slight brown curls.

Rebekah scoffs at her sister and eyes her outfit. She wears a pair of black and white checkered pants, a black long sleeve turtleneck, black wedges, and a long silver necklace. Both of the two sisters somewhat match today with their black outfits.

"Very funny, Evanora." Klaus rolls his eyes and takes a sip from his cup, watching as his sister drags a chair to the table. The actions create a screeching sound that makes the siblings cringe.

"Perhaps I'm concerned that if I voice my opinion about what you did to Elijah, I will end up on the wrong side of your toxic hybrid teeth." Rebekah continues from the conversation she and Klaus were sharing before Evanora walked in.

The brunette simply pours herself a cup of tea and fixes it to her liking while watching the conversation of her siblings. "Poppycock. I would never bite you." He points to the youngest who smiles and rolls her eyes.

"I know the same isn't meant for me, of course." Evanora snickers and sips from her cup. "Where do you two come up with these preposterous ideas? I wouldn't bite you either, Evanora." The hybrid sighs and sinks back into his chair.

"Elijah made some very offensive accusations about my intentions towards my child. He deserves a day or two of discomfort. Besides, you know my preferred method of punishment for both of your indiscretions is the dagger."

Evanora chokes on her drink and immediately begins to cough. Rebekah chuckles and sits up, leaning over the table to stare at Klaus. "There's something fundamentally wrong with you." She then walks off, leaving Klaus with Evanora.

"I need to do something," Evanora boredly grumbles after recovering from her coughing fit. "I'm sure you will find something, Eva." Klaus nods in encouragement, a certain mischievous twinkle in his eyes.

The cool air sweeps through the room and she sighs lightly. "Do you remember when we were human, and it was that time when mother told me I was to be wed to Asmi?" Her voice is hopeful as she leans forward, resting her arms against the table.

Klaus furrows his eyebrows and wracks his brain trying to remember.

"I had been so upset that I cried myself to sleep. I never wanted an arranged marriage, but she and Father decided that it would be best for me. The next morning, you, Henrik, Elijah, Rebekah, Finn, and Kol took me to our spot in the woods."

"And we danced..." He whispers fondly.

They danced to nothing in particular. They spent the day cheering their sister up with silly dances, sang songs without meanings, performed acts from stories they have been told.

"It is one of my favorite memories. I was happiest then. No bloodthirst, no sibling fights that end in coffins, no hurt. I had my family."

Evanora sniffles and wipes a stray tear from her cheek. She then notices the solemn look on her brother's face; his eyes fixed directly onto his cup, swirling the contents around.

"That is one of my favorite memories as well, Evanora."

•••••

Klaus sent Rebekah to spy on Marcel, but he sent Evanora on a completely different task.

To kill Tyler Lockwood.

"You promise me the second he bites me, God forbid, you will not hesitate to give me a dash of your blood?" She asks warily, adjusting her black shirt sleeves. "Yes, sister. I promise." He holds his hand out to her, pinky raised.