48 war of the fallen

She fell from grace all those years ago. Her pure soul was ruptured and torn to suit the needs of a vampire. A blood thirsty, killing machine. She's thrown away more bodies than one of her own victims. It isn't a surprise how calmly she acts as she tears through the vampires before her.

Her hands calmly work their way to the man's chest as he attempts to fight her. She doesn't blink as he snaps his jaws near her face.

It used to faze her, killing did. The guilt of feeling each soul leave a body from under her own fingertips kept her awake at night. She would tear at her skin to serve as some sort of punishment for her cruel actions.

Her skin would repair itself instantly as she sat in the corner of her dark room. Her knees would be drawn to her chest as she watched what others would consider a miracle. She would sob and start over at tearing away at her flesh.

Then, one magical day, it all changed.

The guilt disappeared. She accepted her newfound reality and moved on with her world. A killing machine was born, and damn was she good at it.

A skilled slayer with perfect precision, slices her sharp nails through the vampire's throat. She takes that as a lead as he gasps in shock of her cutting his neck. He scoffs at her attempt to kill him, not expecting her to shrug at him.

The brief pause she shares confuses him. But in an instant, she pushes him backwards: onto a broken wooden chair. The arm piece pierces his skin and leads to his death.

The gray tinge of his skin brings her satisfaction, but she knows that she is far from done. With vampires flooding onto her, she can't help but let her thoughts wander.

She definitely isn't bored, but she's got too much on her mind.

This whole 'war' thing has been all her family can even think about. But her mind feels like something is missing. Something important.

Something is happening within her, but she can't tell what it is. Her days continue as normal, but her nights are difficult. Some days everything is normal, she can remember everything.

Then some nights, most nights, she doesn't remember anything.

One evening she was strolling down Bourbon Street. Listening to the music trailing through open windows and doors. Sighing in contempt as the warm breeze touched her gently.

One minute she was awake and at herself. The next moment, she woke up in her bed.

Evanora Mikaelson has never been one for sleep walking, nor narcolepsy. Although, she doubts vampires tend to experience it often. Her nights usually consisted of her crashing as soon as her head hit the pillow.

Sometimes she dreams, rarely at that.

But never in her entire life has she ever experienced this. One minute she's awake and engaged in the world. The next she's waking up in her home with no recollection of how she got there.

All in all, she is completely and utterly confused.

Vampires continue to swarm her and her brother as she acts on autopilot. Blood flies as she tears through flesh with her hands.

She still cannot help the creeping thoughts that snakes their way into her mind. It weaves tightly around her brain, cutting the circulation of any other thoughts but those.

Why can't she remember anything?

•••••

FLASHBACK:

"So, Evan. I think we've been keeping this a steady system we've got going." Kai announces as she groans awake. Her body is splayed across the hardwood flooring of his house. He stands a few feet away from her and grins as he sees the vampire.