12 memories of the dead

AGE THIRTEEN:

"Come on, Eva!" A young boy calls and continues to run through the trees. A girl follows him eagerly and giggles to herself. They both pass through the bright forest. The sun kisses their skin and the bright rays shine down on their clothes.

The girl stops suddenly and turns to her right. A beautiful deer looks back at her. She has never seen one up close before. It snorts before leaning its head back down to eat the grass. "Eva?" Her brother calls once more and returns back to her side. He notices the animal and freezes as well.

"It's remarkable..." She whispers and looks at her twin. He nods back at her, his dark brown hair flops in eyes which he pushes back. "Kol, is there something wrong with us?" She turns to her twin and fumbles with her fingers.

The young boy furrows his brows and tilts his head to the side. "Niklaus, Elijah, and Rebekah do not like us that much. Finn thinks we are a nuisance, Henrick is too little, and all we have is each other." His twin finishes with a sniffle.

Wind blows in and picks up strands of her hair. "That's the beauty of it, sister. We have each other. You are my best friend and I will never leave you." He boasts proudly and smiles as he sees the deer raise its head.

Its nose twitches and it quickly scampers off into the deep woods. "You promise?" She asks warily and leans back and forth of the balls of her heels. "I promise."

•••••

AGE NINETEEN:

Blood is scattered on the wooden baseboards of their house. It coats the cotton blankets that were used in the attempt to mop up the blood. Tears fall from her eyes as she scrubs her hands hard until it turns bright red. Her skin burns under the warm water as she sobs.

"Evanora! How could you?" Mikael, her father, scowls in disgust at his daughter. Blood is on her face, arms, neck, chest. Her cotton dress is soaked in crimson. She killed the man who was to be her husband. Remorse fills her as her shoulders fall forward and she leans over the wash tub to cry.

He stalks forward and raises his hand, but is stopped by a firm grip around his wrist. "Do not touch her." Kol snarls at his father and stands in front of his twin. "This is your doing, back away or I will kill you."

Their parents created them into monsters. Vampires. Evanora lost control on her date with her suitor, Asmi, and killed him. Her twin found her holding Asmi's body close to her chest near their house. He brought his panicked sister back to the home.

Mikael scoffs and snatches his hand out of his son's grip. He walks away from the twins and leaves with the door slammed shut. Kol glares once more at the door and turns to his sister's side. He rubs his hand on her back in soothing motions to try to calm her down.

"I killed him..." She sputters in disbelief. "It will be okay, Eva. I promise."

•••••

AGE ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY TWO:

"I will kill you!" Kol snarls and stalks towards their brother, Niklaus. The vampire had killed the woman who Kol deeply cared for. "You will not because you cannot," The blue eyed original mockingly smiles at his younger brother.

He sits underneath an apple tree, wielding a bear from a block of wood. The twin stands over him dangerously. "Kol!" His twin sister runs forward and grabs his arm. She stares warily at both brothers and begins to tug him away.

"He killed Tawny!" He cries and bends down to pick up a rock from the grass. He chucks it in Niklaus' direction who ducks it with ease. "Bastard!" The male twin snarls and stalks away.