54 manners, i'm kai

In Mystic Falls, Virginia, specifically 1994, things are strange. Specifically the date May 10 continues on a revolving loop. Hit singles of 'Whatta Man' and 'The Sign' play while a vampire cooks every day. A witch struggles over her magic not working and a crossword puzzle with no answer. And there are no people other than Bonnie Bennett and Damon Salvatore. Or so they think.

Unbeknownst to them, a siphoner watches their every move. He feeds off their energy and sucks it up for his own entertainment. He craves to drain the vampire of his powers. Kai wants to feel the magic leak out of every pore, hear the pain erupt from the vampire's mouth. Damon's immortality radiates off of his body as he swiftly moves about the house. All while the siphoner wants to reach his hand out and suck up all that magic for himself.

Sure, grimoires, magic crystals, that stuff works too. But, God, nothing is as satisfying as taking magic and hearing the screams of pain. It's almost as pleasurable as masterbating, according to Kai. It's a surge of power that he doesn't possess, but once he gets it? That feeling is one he never wants to let go.

But it always does.

And it leaves him angry. Seething in hatred and spite. Steam from his ears coils in thick gray tendrils around his body like a dragon when that happens. Nobody wants to be around him when that happens. Not that really anybody ever wants to be around him to begin with.

Well ever wanted, to be frank.

The siphoner continues to watch the vampire and the witch. His blue gray eyes transfixed so hard that a single movement causes his whole eye to snap hard onto the next movement.

"This is pointless!" Bonnie huffs and shoves the paper forward. Damon furrows his brows and simply stops cooking to pick up the newspaper.

He huffs himself and attempts to wrack his brain for the answer. But he's got nothing.

Over the years, Kai has solved numerous crossword puzzles. Including the one the powerless witch attempts to solve now.

"Yellow Ledbetter," he murmurs against the air. Careful not to move from his hiding spot. He knows Damon could possibly hear him, but thankfully he was drowned out of the popping of grease from the vampire's meal.

"I don't know Bon, could be anything." The raven haired man exclaims and shuffles the pancakes from the pan onto a plate.

He fixes Bonnie one as well and places it in front of her.

This is how their routine goes along. Just another day in hell for the two of them.

Well, three of them.

•••••

Damon and Bonnie shuffle through the supermarket pushing a shopping cart full of groceries in different directions. "I got it," The vampire growls. "Okay," is all the witch replies with as she looks down at her list.

"We need strawberries, eggs, milk, and ooh, candles." Bonnie grabs a candle from the shelf, causing Damon to look at her funny. "I know it's been a while, but you couldn't do magic as an anchor. So I'm curious what momentary lapse of reason makes you think you can do it now?"

Bonnie simply huffs at the vampire as they turn onto a different aisle. "You know when all this started, you sucked at making pancakes, and now they're somewhat edible. Milk," She points out as Damon is already getting it.

"There's no reason to be Peter Pessimist. We have proof we're not alone." She proudly stated as she placed on the pair of sunglasses that caught her eye.

"First of all, don't nickname. That's my thing. And this proof," He snatches the extra pair of sunglasses from Bonnie's hands and continues to push the shopping cart. "This mysteriously filled in crossword could have very easily been you."