Expensive Plates/Pool Games!

"Do you know how to play?.."

"No.."

My eyes were taking in the room.....Small tables, cheap chairs, a long bar.....Creepy looking people, smoke, old juke box in the corner playing really bad music.   Smoke.   Six pool tables.   Smoke.

"I'll show you.."                Nate looked down at me, grinning to himself.....I was looking all around the room still, then looked back at him.
"Okay....I've never done this before..."
"I've never taught any one before..."

Nate nodded to the guy behind the bar, walked up to the side entrance....The bar guy handed him a key, Nate went to a cabinet.....Unlocked it, took out some pool sticks, shut it....Handed the key back.

"Right.     Use this to hit the balls (He pointed) those things, aim for that.."             Nate pointed to the string pockets at each of the four corners of the table.
"I'll break, to get us started.    First game, just for fun.."
"....Okay..."

Nate handed me a pool stick, set the balls up....Removed the bracket, picked up his pool stick...Leaned down, aimed....Slid the stick between his fingers, small push and cracked the balls wide open, a couple went straight into the pockets.

"That's how it's done....Not too hard, I'll help if you don't get it.."
"I know what to do, I get it.."

I walked up, bent down a little, positioned fingers, stick.....And watched the stick fly out of my hand on to the table.    Some balls went into the pockets.

"Nailed it!.."           Grinned up at Nate.
"No.."              He was laughing too.

We played some more rounds.....I really didn't get very far, manage to pocket some balls.    Lost the pool stick a few more times.....Nate "won" all games.

Around five or so.....The place really started to fill up, mostly locals (They left us alone).....Then, a small group walked in, they seemed to know Nate.

"Nate!.."
Nate looked up...."Dickhead!.."
"Long time.    No see!.."
"Been busy.."

Brick walked up to us, looked down at me...."I know you, Nate talked about you aaaall the time.....(Back to Nate) So, you got her back!.."
"Got who back?.."            Penny walked up behind Brick, and looked at me...Smirking.

Nate grinned at them....(Tight grin to Penny)

They all sat down, seemed to "know" Nate very well.      Brick talked away to Nate, about old times.....I looked at Brick, I did remember him.....But, I'd only met the once (And I wasn't happy that day, if I recall)

Nate talked back....But, kept cutting certain topic's short, Brick didn't press him.....Penny kept staring at me.....I was trying to be "worldly".     But, I was out of my depth with this group, and realised.....I've lead a very shelter life!

Nate played some games of pool with Brick, for old times sake. Nate was very good!.....Better than I knew. He bet Brick twice.

"It's all in the angle, old man.....You keep taking Your eyes off the ball!.."
Brick would laugh....."Good thing we're not playing for pingers!       You would have lost!!..."
"ME!!!!.....lose!!!.....To YOU!!!....No Way, asshole!!.." Nate looked at Brick and laughed.

"I had sex with him....All the time..."
"Brick?   Okay..."       Nice of Penny to share that.
Penny looked at me...."NO!.....Nate.."
I looked over at Nate.
"...Good on ya!.."
Penny smirked at me again, stood up.....Walked over to the pool table.

"How Are We going!..."            Penny gave Brick and Nate a big grin, and asked if any one needed another drink.

The comment didn't hurt.....I didn't have the facts.    But, I couldn't stop my brain ticking over time, at what she'd said. I looked at Nate.....No way was Penny his type.....But, I didn't know Nate back then, did I.

"Would you like to play a.....Game, young men?.." Nate and Brick turned around.....Some Uni guys (Three) had come in.   They walked up to the pool table, and smiled.

"Shall we give them around?.."          Brick looked at Nate.
"Just for fun..."

"Of course....For fun, We don't take money from children.."       The Uni guys laughed.

The table was set up, balls were sent flying.....The first game went okay...No stress.

The second.....Things got interesting, the shots tighter....Nate kept tilting his head.

(He was "working" the pool table...Each angle, direction....Outcomes, shots...One ball, two?..)

One of the Uni guys was overheard saying...."Don't bring money into this, these two know what we're doing.."
"The tall one, mental shit in his arm....Too good. Best quit, while Sam can..."

There wasn't a third game....Brick offered to buy them a beer.

The Uni guys felt sure they could out "talk" Brick and Nate in educational topics....It wasn't hard with Brick.

After a few topics.....The Uni guys were now feeling SUPERIOR.

Nate looked at them...."What are you studying?      If you don't mind me asking?.."            Nate looked so innocent.

"Medicine....We all are, very hard.."
Nate nodded.
"...So sick people....Injured....Dying....people?..."
"Yes....What else is there.."

Nate looked at them...."I know how to bring someone back....To life.      Using the electricity from an average electrical power point.      It's easy to do....If you know how.."             Nate looked around the table.

Everyone was dead quiet.

(That's my Nate!        Scaring the shit out of everyone since 19..?     I couldn't remember...)

Brick looked at Nate...."You never fail.."          He looked at the Uni guys...."Great fun, isn't he!.."

Sam looked at his two friends...."Time to leave....Me thinks, this getting too weird...."             The other two were nodding. They stood, thanked Brick for the beers, and left quickly!

"We should go too....Ruby's falling asleep.."
"No, I'm Not.."

Nate stood grabbed me....Nodded at Brick, and we walked out.

We walked the streets, till we got to the bus-stop. For a dark place by day, it certainly was a well lit place by night.      The lights were sooo bright, they started hurt my eyes a little.

Nate pulled me closer to him, while we waited.

"You've been drinking.....Won't that effect your med's?.."
"Don't take all of them....All the time, just the pain-killers....When my arm hurts.."
"Okay.."

A minute later.

"Did you sleep with Penny?.."
"Fuck no.."               He looked down at me, he put his arm around me.....I was starting to feel tried.

"Your okay some times....Tonight, you were okay.."

Nate could see eyes flickering. I couldn't keep them open.

On ride back....I fell asleep against Nate's shoulder.

I managed to walk back to the house.

"What time is this?        LATE!...I said an hour or two!..."

Nate looked at Audrey....smiled, point out the door (The two of them could still hear the bus rambling away)......Pointed to me.

"She's fallen asleep against the wall.....You upstairs.    Ruby!....Wake up..."       Audrey grinned.