We Know Best.

Talking. Cont.

"..I just need one word.    We'll start from there..."

Nate looked at Audrey (One word, that's all she wants)

"No.." (Crap! Now she's gonna think I don't want to do this....or? I'm not trying. That wasn't the word I wanted to use any way)

"No's not a word, it is.....But, you can do better.....you can say more. I've heard you with Ruby..."

(fuck, she probably has too)

"We have time......In fact, we have till four. Yes, Ruby's going over to a friend's house..."

I was going to be at Lily's house. Audrey deliberately didn't say in the hopes that if she got Nate thinking (Wondering/Force him to speak. Ask questions) It might force him to ask who.

It worked...But, then he started to look stressed. A look of worry crawling across his face.....Clenched hands, mouth trying to form the words.   But, brain going into a state of panic.

(.....She told me she'd be back at three. Lily was coming over, we would all do homework together. But.....now?    I know what Audrey's trying to do! Aaaah!..)

Audrey didn't like what she was doing to him......But, she wasn't going to back down.   Well, maybe.......She might have to give him a small clue.

Nate was standing......Glaring, breathing a little too much.   Eyes were wide, body in a tense state (Not positive signs to get someone communicating!)

"Nate can you, sit down, yeah.    Just there.....If your more comfortable...."              Audrey tried to smile, she wasn't going to show Nate she was nervous. Sitting's good......She'll try to sit closer in a minute, let him start to calm down, start breathing again.    I was a good topic to use. But, I was also a source of stress. Nate wasn't weird about me....I was just "his".

A second later.....The phone started to ring.

"Dam it!......Stay there, I'll get rid of that call.    I will return!..."                   Audrey went out into the hallway to answer the phone.

Nate sat back in the chair.

(....if I start talking.....to her.....I won't.....be able to stop myself. It will all come out. Everything. Every last fucked up, crapy, horrible, awful .........shity thing!      She will be upset. She will be angry. Audrey will wish she never left that day. She might even wish......For a minute, protecting Ruby wasn't worth it.....)

Nate folded his hands over his chest, elbows resting on the armrests of the chair. He was going to have to give Audrey something, a word.....A gesture. He knew she didn't want....A fucking gesture!     She'd get frustrated, like she wasn't making it clear to him.

Maybe if he wrote something down.....That was a form of communication.    Not talking, but....It was something, and he'd be saying something. Audrey could read it, and maybe she might be happy with that?

He'd give it a go.

Nate went and got a pen and paper, Audrey saw him wandering around, and frowned at him. He smiled at her, as he returned himself to the living room.

(....See!       NOT running away!     Still, right here!..)

Nate sat back down, and started to write.......Audrey returned, just as he finished. Nate smiled.....Handed her the sheet of paper. His best conversation yet!