Keeping.

My phone had been beeping through out the day, but between work and being in class......I couldn't pick up, I kept meaning to read the messages, or call back in breaks.

I'd been writing myself small lists.....My plan was very spare of the moment, but something felt so right......A real urge to just do it!, all other pieces would fall into place.

For starters......Food, clothes and basic stuff like that.....I'd sort out later. My classes finished early for the day......I hadn't seen Toni and Jenny, which I was relived (My eye still hurt) But, if I stopped thinking about it.....I was hoping the pain was just in my head, and would just go away.

One thing I did put some thought into was the place, we would go to. Audrey's family have houses....Rental properties, buildings......Vacant land. There was real estate office not far from Tech, so I went there. Asked about properties under the O'Sullivan name, the woman behind the desk pulled out a large file. She was very helpful.

"There are quite a few empties at the moment.....Your in luck! First time?.." I just smiled.
".....Need to run away..." I gave her the details of the place, I'd been thinking of.
"Ooo.....I have just that place!, and you can "run away"....Today!.." She gave me a really enthusiastic smiled, opened a drawer and handed over a large key.

"Here's the paper work........Just sign here, and the place is yours. Agreements and information, are in the envelope. We collect first of every month..."

Sitting back in the car......Thought, maybe I should check my phone. All messages were from Audrey........Please call me. Problem with Nate. Call ASAP!!

SHIT!.....That was one problem I couldn't have.

~%~

"Ruby!!.......I'm so glad your here!.."

Audrey hugged me, and then pulled me straight down the hallway into the kitchen.

"Nate's......Not himself. I thought Liz was up to something, but I didn't think what's happening to Nate at the moment was.....It!.."

Audrey gave me a worried look.

".....It's complicated things, but it's still workable. I'll get you to "talk" to him.....Nate will show you what the problem is...."
"Okay. Where is he?..."
"Outside.."

I walked out to the back lawn, Nate was sitting on the grass.....With his legs stretched out in front of him.

"Nate!..."
He looked up at me.....Smiled.

I sat down beside him. No problems here!

"......I don't know these people...."

I stared at Nate, mouth now open.

"......Do you know.....me?..."

He looked at me, pulled his legs up, folded them....Sat.

"If I said no, am I in trouble?.."
"Are you sure?.....Not a little bit?.."
"...Mom, said if I think about you.....She was going to make sure.......I'll never remember another bloody thing again..." Nate looked down at his hands, looked at me.

"....Bloody's a bad word..." Nate grinned. Then he looked sad.

"......i want to, is it ok if i do....don't tell anyone...." Nate was now leaning towards me, looking at me closely.

I was getting annoyed. Angry (God Dam it!!..)

I wasn't angry with him (I tried to hide that) But, if any thing, it made my plan....Crystal clear.

"Nate, what....Do you remember?.."
"Lots of things. I like it here, I'm outside.....I don't want to go back, I hate that place. A girl hits me. Mom keeps talking about...." He paused.

"......Money. But. I don't have any, do you?.." Nate tried to smile, but ended up biting his bottom lip.

"How old are you?.."

(That was a stupid question, he never knew!)

"This much..." Nate held up his fingers, then changed his mind. He looked at me, slight panic settling in. I told, he never really knew, Nate gave me grin. He still looked upset.

Audrey came outside, smiled....."Ruby, we need to talk with you. Nate, can stay out here..." She gave Nate a grin..."Ruby will come back soon, okay?.."

I got up....Smiled at him. Kept a tight lid on my slow building anger.

He looked at me...."Nooo!.... I'm coming too..." Nate got up, grabbed my hand, looked at Audrey. "No!.."

"Nate, I need to talk with Ruby......You need to stay here...." Audrey moved forward, towards me. But, Nate was determined......"I can come, I'll talk too!.."
"Nate....Can you take some photos for me..." I handed him my phone.

Nate took it....Looked at me, then the phone. Curiously getting the better of him.

As we walked away....."Is that a good idea?.."
"He takes great pic's.."

We sat at the table in the dinning room, Rose said she would keep an eye on Nate (Who was working out what the phone could actually do!)

Gus started talking first.

"Nate will not be returning to The Clinic, I will be requesting Dr Quest back as his doctor.....And, Mr Jefferson has placed an order for "No Contact" from Liz. If Nate remains in our care for the next 24hrs.....Not on the grounds of The Clinic, or any where near Liz.....We stand a chance of revoking any/all holdings, Liz has over Ignatius..."

Audrey spoke next.

She told us of the conversation, she'd had with Dr Quest......If in the next 12 hours any thing started to happen, we would all know....Nate would need another dose. So, the course of action, all were hoping for...Would be to decrease. If no signs presented themselves......The dose wouldn't be needed. The course of action, would be to simply to let the last dose.....Be just that, the last.

And, also......Audrey had gained a guardian order.....Also still with Liz, but it prevented Liz from doing anything without, first discussing it with Audrey.

Edith........Simply informed us all, there would never be again......Contact with the Winters. Maybe in business dealings.     She couldn't stop that, but not in personal. The state of Nate, had upset her immensely.

The state of Nate.

"I'm going to have to grow my boyfriend back up again........Brain's on rewind..."
"It shouldn't come to that.....He could be fine by tomorrow..."           Gus smiled at me, but his face was showing otherwise.

".....This could be a positive thing, give us a chance to treat Nate how he should have grown up, rewrite the shit Liz put him through..."             Audrey was looking at us around the table.

Edith agreed...."I didn't see much of him growing up.....Eddie always had such trouble with Liz, and Nate was just kept away..."

Nate walked in then, sat beside me.....Smiled.

"Camera's stopped......Phone's stopped too...."

Gus stood up, and walked towards Nate......"It's probably the battery...."

He went to hold out his hand for the phone, when Nate panicked, and leaned into me. He pushed the phone into my hands......Looking up at Gus with heartbreaking fear.

Decisions had been made in that last half hour.    Mine too, even though......I was doing without them, I had to do it.