Grow-Up.

"Ruby!       There you are.....It's lunch time, Audrey's looking for you..."

"Can I stay....I can help, you don't know what to do with him..."

I put my hand on Nate, a leg of my jeans was tightly scrunched up in one of his hands, half his body was soundly sleeping on my legs.    He looked at peace.

"We'll get you off the bed, he needs to eat something.   The doctor's going to be here soon..."          Gus looked at us, put the tray down.....And walked over to the bed. Looking down at the body-tangle...."This could be tricky.        Nate, we need to sit you up..."

Gus gently shook Nate, who opened his eyes.....Looked at Gus, and started to cry a little, moving even closer to me.

"Nate......Ruby's just going to sit on the chair..."         He pointed to it.

He then unpeeled Nate's fingers, and moved me.

"There!      Now for lunch..."

Gus was happy to help, he didn't get to see much of Nate.....And, took this opportunity to spend a little time with him. He went and got the tray.....Bought it close to the bed, placing it on the bedside table.

There was a plate of sandwiches for me, made by Rose.....She knew where I had ended up (And that I'd want my lunch with Nate!)

Nate had tears running down his cheeks.....He wiped them away with the back of his sleeve, looked at Gus.....Then looked to what was on the tray.

Nate stared in horror at what he saw.

Scrambled eggs had been made....(He liked that)    But, it was the knife and fork beside the plate!       Had Violet called?           Were we all in on his punishment?              Was Gus here to watch and report back to his mother and Violet?

Did I know too?         I was being so nice to him.

Nate started to cry uncontrollably.......He felt like he was going to throw up again.

I got upset too.     Gus tried to get me to leave the room, but I wouldn't.....Nate was crying.

Gus sat on the bed, and held Nate. I held his hand as well.

He managed to calm Nate.....And, asked him if he wanted to talk. Nate looked at his uncle, could he tell him? He looked at me.

He was going to shake his head, but we would probably find out any way (He'd been told to make the most of his visit, with his father. They would be stopping soon)

".....i'm eight. violate and mum said i had to grow up, i'm trying......but they fall out of my hands, i can't hold them right. violate said i was being bad..."

Nate looked down....."i feel sick.."

Nate whispered to Gus....His hands hurt a lot, he didn't like liver, he couldn't stop being sick....And, tried hard not to cry......."don't tell dad....i'm going away, i have to grow up.    mum said.."

Gus was quiet, He spoke to Edith, Edith talked to Eddie.       Eddie had it out Liz......Who, in turn told him...."If you want to be with your son!       Live with him, and be his FATHER!.....NOT living with HER!!..."

If any thing was said, Liz told Eddie.....She would send Nate away.

And Eddie knew she would do it too.        There were other secrets........Eddie knew he'd dug a deep, deep hole with Liz.

And.........Nate was paying for it.

I didn't like Nate being upset, I didn't like seeing Mum upset.

When the doctor came, Nate cried again.....He kept reaching out to his father or Audrey. I was outside with Gus.       We were playing some ball game. I kept saying to myself.....I don't want to remember this.

(.....Years later......Well, I didn't. I know I was with Nate.    I'm guessing we did stuff, played games, went to parks....Read books etc.     Kid crap......I have the pictures!...)

The doctor suggested a light diet, drink fluids, lots of bed rest. Audrey sat with him till he went back to sleep. Eddie called Liz, and told her......Nate would be staying a few more days. Liz seemed fine with this.....As long as it was at Edith's.

Nate got up for dinner later......He looked a lot better, he was quiet.        He would look at me, I kept looking at my plate. I was a little scared of him.....He'd got so upset.

After dinner.........I thought, I'd watch TV.       Nate was with Gus and Eddie. Audrey offered to watch TV with me.....Lissa watched too (She liked the Cartoon channel. Watch's too much TV, I feel.

In to the second show......Eddie came in with Nate, told us two more shows and then it was bedtime. Audrey looked up at Eddie, they needed to talk.

Nate wanted to sit beside me, but Lissa insisted on sitting between us.....Mind due, five minutes into the first show, she closed her glass eyes (Suppose she was tried)

"Do you want to watch a movie, we can watch a little now, and the rest tomorrow?.."

Nate nodded, I was looking at him and talking.....Before I wasn't, now I was. He jumped off the couch and grabbed the video remote, and when he returned to the couch.....He sat where Audrey had been sitting. He was now beside me.....Close.

I turned the movie on, and we started to watch.

Lissa fell on her side.....Her arm popped out. I looked at her, guess she's a "High-care" doll too.     She could also be going to doll heaven soon, Mum had been gently telling me she should.

I looked over Nate....He looked okay, small smile on his face.         He was watching the movie.

I don't think his mother should have him......She doesn't look after him (I would, if I was allow......He wouldn't be sad)            I'd get Audrey and Eddie to help too. He'd like Eddie and Audrey's house, I'd tell them to buy all the right doll stuff......So we could look after him properly.

I looked back over at Nate......His eyes were shut, I leaned him over to me......His arms and legs didn't come off. He felt warm, skin felt different to Lissa's......Still has all his hair (That's a plus!      Lissa's a bit bladed)

On of his hands is  grabbing/holding my jeans again. I'm still a little scared of him......I don't want to break him.

Audrey's been watching Nate......She's got a tight look on her face.         A lot like the look she get's with Mum.

I hold his other hand.....It's warm, bends.    Fingers are trying to hold mine.

Nate always amazes me. I can never work him out.