I'm With Her.

I put my arm around Nate, and smiled up at him. He looked nervous, we'd talk in a minute.

"..Yes, I know Molly, Riley and Nate. We're all firm friends. How's things been with you?.."

Ems smiled back at me.

"All good, Jacks and I are just catching up with Molly....And, her tall friend, here..." She winked at Nate.

Molly introduced me to Jacks.

Riley had decided to make some coffees....."Ruby, come help me, your sooooo good at these things.." He could see the look on my face. I followed him into the kitchen.

"Now, how many cups do you think we should have?.."
"He told you didn't, he?.."
Riley was staring at coffee cups....."He didn't say a word....Cups, Mugs?.."
I looked at Riley.

".....Okay. It did come up while talking....One time, one day. He wants you. Always has, hell....I wasn't allowed near you at one point..."
"....Really?..."
Riley looked at me now...."Really.."

"Ems is not like Toni. Now, coffee!...Do I put one spoon or two? No?.."

I walked over to the bench, and started to help him....Coffee was every where!

The drinks were made, then bought out. Ems was sitting right beside Nate. Nice and close. Nate was looking at me (He also looked like, he wanted to pee himself) I smiled, I was fine.

".....We were going to go out with each other. But....Nate, here! Just disappeared!..." Ems was talking away. "...Heard, he'd started seeing someone.....But, looking single at the moment. Actually....What are you wearing now, Nate? Are you a doctor? Didn't think you would get into medicine..."

Nate was about to answer.

"....So, you and Nate? Didn't hear about that one.." I took a sip of my coffee.

Nate got a panic look across his face.

Riley saw it.....And, my wide eyes.

"....You met that Bobby guy. How's he these days?..."

Ems laughed...."Gone. Fancy free!.."

Nate was still looking at me, then Ems..."No, not doing anything medical (more it's doing me!) Not single either..."

Nate gave me the biggest grin, and stood up.

"I'm with Ruby.."

"Wow! Never saw that coming.."
Ems looked over to me, she was kind of smiling. Nate sat down beside me, put his arm around me.....And, leaned in closer.

We all chatted......And drank our coffees.

Ems would look in our direction....With a how? question on her face. Once I got talking to her, she didn't seem too bad.....But, I was still on guard.

(...Her interest in Nate was still there...)

A little later.......Nate and I were sitting on the couch.

"..I've done something. I didn't mean to, I made a call, by accident. They want to see me. Said I'd think about it..."

Nate had a worried look, I don't know if was because he'd made a call....Or who it was, he'd called.

"How do you feel? Are you, okay seeing them?.."
Nate looked down at his hands, looked at me....."I know, I know them...but, I get confused. Mixed up?.."

I held one of his hands......"Today I was chatting to Lily.....She thought if I talked about when we were kids. Things might started to fall into place.."
"Lily?.."
"She's my friend.....She thought I was always being mean to you.."
"....no?.."
"No.."

Nate nodded.

"......Okay, here goes! We used to go to the park a lot. We read a lot of books together......We went to the beach..." I didn't remember.....Exactly, but the photos I'd looked at, could be a starter. He looked at me.....He seemed satisfied.

"..I think, I read the books. You couldn't read very well.....Or least, not at first.."

".....oh.....okay...."

"We played games together....." I felt confident saying that.

"......Did I have to drink out of a saucer?..."
"I.....don't know......maybeeee..."

Maybe Nate's memory wasn't too bad.....Maybe it was a people thing.

"Do you remember?..."

".....umm.....well.....I remember, somethings.......But......"

Nate now looked concerned.

"How bout I tell you something, and you say if it's right or not...."

Nate smiled at me......"We're a great pair! The Nut.....And, the I-Can't-Remember.."

"I always wanted to see you. I remember that.."
"You did.......But, I think I had competition. Someone called Lissa?.."

Nate had a puzzled expression on his face.

I remembered a doll.....There was Barbie......Raspberry Tart.....A baby?

Audrey's friends had heaps of kids......We hung out with them. Some I liked, some maybe not.......But, just to the corner of my thoughts, there was a shadow. Just taller than me.....I always felt close to this shadow.

"..If you want, I can call Audrey......And we can go see them tomorrow..."

Nate nodded, shrugged......Grinned.

His hand was gripping mine rather tightly, he may have not been completely sure.....But, he'd try.

"..One thing we definitely need to do, is get you more clothes. You need to have something other than that to wear..."
"Not liking the run-away-insane look.....Was thinking it could be my thing..." Nate gave me a wide eye innocent look.

"It's......Something, but.....You need real clothes..." I kissed his cheek.

Nate blinked back at me, wide eyes looking at me.....Small dimpled grin forming, deep cotton/spearmint scent inviting me closer......My hands just wanting to pull the clothes off him.

One small problem.....What he was wearing, wasn't rip able!

So. I grabbed the remote.

"Movie?......comedy?......This!..."
"What ever...."

I went for the movie....."The Glass Jar". Scary.....But, watchable.

Half an hour in......Nate had put his head on my lap, and one of his hands was still holding mine, the other resting on my knee.

I lightly touched the inside his fingers.....Hand curled around my finger (wow)

"Awww.....cute!.."                  Molly sat down on the couch, and smiled at the now peacefully sleeping Nate.

"The Glass Jar".       Your game!.....Scared the crap out of Riley..."

I looked down at Nate.......Why did this feel familiar.....Comforting, but weird?

Maybe weird wasn't the word I was looking for......But......painful?

Didn't like that word either. I looked at the TV screen......Molly was hugging a pillow (She loved scary films)

Riley would always say......He doesn't need to be scared by a movie.   Life it's self.....Should be enough.

(....Molly would then call him a scaredy-cat!...)