Chapter Fifteen

"When early days have faded, everything gets complicated"

This chapter includes some sexist comments, along with name calling and general family toxicity.

Amalia

I'm convinced that Harry and I are best friends. I'd maybe go as far as saying we were soulmates, but I'd never admit that aloud. Not yet at least.

Every moment we were desperately clinging onto each other like we trying to save each other from disaster.

I had moved back to Westwell cottage with Cosy in tow, constantly whining in my ear about how much she misses her dada and her new best friend, Rusty. Though she's still calling him a puppy. For the first few days I was able to relax and get back into the swing of things at home, but then my mother came barrelling down the phone, telling me of all the royal duties I must attend.

Duty and dignity above all else.

The first being tonight.

It was only a small gathering at Harrington Palace, welcoming the new mayor of London into our home. This did however, mean it was a whole family affair. My uncle and James included.

Which also meant I was staying the night in my childhood bedroom, though it wasn't the childhood bedroom that many would imagine. It was bigger than Harry's entire garden. But attending royal affairs with James, my beloved husband, also meant that I needed someone to look after Cosy whilst we were conversing with the major.

And that's exactly how Harry was granted permission to be let into the palace, something that my mother nearly had a stroke over, but she finally accepted that Cosy needed looking after and Harry was her father after all.

"This is cute" Harry gently sways Cosy in his arms whilst she fights sleep, picking up a golden photo frame of Cosy and I from when she was just a few weeks old.

"She was so tiny" I flash a smile towards him, admiring the two of them together before turning back to the mirror and focusing on caking my face in forgery.

"She still is tiny" he comments from behind me, speaking in a hushed tone so he doesn't wake our sleeping bear up.

"She's heavy" I take my eyes away from the mirror for a moment.

He fakes a gasp in offence and quickly turns to cover Cosy's ears who is far off in her dreams now. "Don't listen to her Cose, you're still my tiny little baby" he whispers into her ear, pressing a tender kiss to her temple.