Chapter Twenty

"City of stars, are you shining just for me?"

This chapter includes mentions of self harming/suicide attempts (not in detail)

Amalia

Being in Africa with Harry, was possibly the most free I had ever felt. And if this is what freedom felt like, then I didn't ever want to go back home.

Cosy was in her element, running wild in the parks and reserves, smiling at everyone she sees, pretending to be a little explorer ever time we went on a walk and searching for bugs and flowers.

Our trip was only supposed to be a week long. We very quickly turned it into two once we realised how much we loved this place. I had heard from Estelle that my mother wasn't overly happy with my decision, because she knew I was doing it to stay away from home. But she couldn't do anything about it as the public thought I was doing it from the bottom of my heart. Which I was. Though I mainly wanted to just bathe in this peace for a little longer. I don't think that was too much to ask.

"I feel like I'm in a dream" I whisper up at the sky full of purples and pinks, Harry's fingers gently tapping my own.

"Why?" He turns his head to look at me, one arm behind his head to prop himself up a little, and the other by his side, next to mine.

"I just didn't really think- I don't know, I just didn't think we'd ever get here" I trip over my words, unable to really convey exactly how I'm feeling right now. It was surreal. And I felt like I had run into gold.

"What do you mean?" He asks, his voice quiet whilst the sky puts on a show for us.

"Not here as in Africa" I clear up, "here as in, I never thought I'd acquire this level of peace" I hum, a small smile playing on my lips, just like is has been for the past two weeks, I'm unable to erase it.

This little smile seems to be permanent.

"It's quiet here, isn't it?" He agrees, our fingertips brushing against each other's like we were still some kind of secret. We were still a secret, but not to Africa. In Africa we could be whoever we wanted to be. There were no rules, no cameras, no headlines.

The only headlines seemed to be positive. They were praising me for my duties and my contributions to the country. They were applauding me for visiting children in hospitals and schools, and there wasn't one negative comment.

That was strange for me. It felt odd. But it was also a nice change.

"And the press are quiet too" I remark. "Cosy's sleeping, the moon is out, the sun is setting- everything is just settling into place."