Chapter Twenty Three

"It takes everything in me just to get up each day but it's wonderful to see that you're okay"

Amalia

Amalia

There are many things that I hate in life, nearly all of them boil down to my family and the duties that are placed upon us at such a young age. Though, I was always taught that hate is an incredibly strong word and should not be used lightly, I had grown to learn that in fact, I hated a lot of things.

The first thing I ever grew to hate was my entire family dynamics. I must've only been about seven when I first voiced my hatred for the ancient rules and ways of life, of course, it earned me a serious telling off and I was made to apologise to every single member of my family. Including my uncle.

Another thing I hated was that our family could never and would never be normal. We could never just go on a day out to the zoo or to the park, I couldn't go out with my friends as a teenager, we could've go to the cinema or enjoy a pub lunch. I always pleaded and pleaded for a slightly more normal life, but it was always thrown back in my face and I was told I was ungrateful.

That's the name I got for myself and that's the name that will always stick with me. In my mothers eyes I was selfish and ungrateful. I don't think I'd ever lose that title.

"It's incredibly selfish you know" my mother starts. She had insisted that herself and Cassie were to join me on a late birthday picnic in my back garden. They claimed I had been keeping Cosette from them and that they hardly saw me anymore. But I know them, and I know their motives. This wasn't just going to be a friendly catch-up.

"Mum I'm not in the mood" I shut her down instantly, she had barely stepped foot into my home and already she was on at me.

There was a tabloid posted last night, going into detail as to why I didn't post photos of Cosy's face. They were analysing every photo I had ever posted and accusing me of overprotecting Cosette's identity.

My mother wasn't happy with it. She wasn't happy that I had been hiding Cosy's face. Despite her being my daughter.

"No, it's selfish that you hide her face" she follows me into the back garden, her nose turned up as she passes by my living room. "Everyone knows what she looks like anyway, so I'm not sure why you chose to hide her face, she will have duties to fulfil when she's of age and she can't hide her face forever" she lectures me as if she has any idea of what I'm going through and why I've made certain decisions. She'll never understand.

"Mum please- it's just for her safety and protection" I reel off. "I don't feel comfortable with everyone seeing her face, she's two" I try to explain.