Chapter Forty Six

"Another stumble as I'm reaching for the right thing to say"

This chapter has implications of domestic abuse but is never fully addressed.

Amalia

Amalia

I was worried about Anne. Not just a little worried, I was close to calling the police.

Once again, life seemed to go from zero to one hundred in the space of about twelve hours.

I had shared some quiet words with Anne in the kitchen whilst Harry was putting Cosy down for her nap. She never specifically told me of what she was experiencing but she was implying that her home life was anything but homely.

She lived with a man who she had told me that she met at a pub, but I wasn't sure I could completely believe her. She was lying to protect herself and I got it. I understood why she'd do that.

They had only been living together for just under a year, before that she was living with Gemma in France, but Gemma had told her that they were trying for another baby and that they wouldn't have room for her anymore.

So now she lives with Damien. A man who she appears to barely know. There's no discernible personality or exciting information that wanted to share. She could barely even tell me where he worked.

But he was giving her money and keeping her afloat and she seemed incredibly grateful for that, she just wished it was under better circumstances. The last part she whispered under breath.

She had also sworn me to secrecy.

That part I was incredibly uncomfortable with. She had made me promise that I wasn't to tell Harry because he'd only panic and make things worse. I'm not entirely sure why she thought it would be a good idea to get me in on this when I am the worlds biggest worrier.

I appreciated her telling me and making it known that I needed to have concerns over her well-being when she returned home, but I had enough anxieties to last a lifetime and with this added little secret that Anne opened up to me about, I felt like my head was going to blow with all of this loaded on top of me. And of course I was going to be there for Anne, how could I ignore such a detrimental thing.

She was struggling, that was clear for anybody to see, but I knew she was keeping a lot more hidden behind those sad eyes. She wouldn't have told me to check in on her if she wasn't worried herself.

She gave me her phone number, told me that I had to keep checking in on her and that I could only tell Harry if her messages seemed suspicious or out of character. That alone sent my mind into a panic.