Chapter Twenty One

"Life is far away from fair"

Amalia

Amalia

We had arrived back in England just six hours ago. We all travelled back together hoping it wouldn't cause too much uproar, though you can never predict the media.

I thought that maybe Harry would head back to his house and leave me be with James and Cose. But he didn't. He came home with me and ignored James' presence entirely, he didn't let that man disturb his peace and I appreciated that.

Harry came in without a care in the world, happily following Cose to her room, lugging her suitcase up the stairs so he could begin to unpack and help me load up the washing machine full of our dirty clothes.

The one thing I pleaded for when I moved out was my independence. I didn't want maids or butlers or a live in chef like we had back home. I didn't want a nanny for Cose or a cleaner. I wanted to have things my way and my independence was really important to me.

It made me feel like less of a person when I was back home at Harrington Palace, constantly having ladies in waiting assisting my every move was often degrading. I wanted to do the hard work, I wanted to wash dishes and cook a meal, I wanted to wash my own clothes and vacuum my own room. I hated having people do the simplest of things for me.

So when I moved out, I didn't bring any house staff with me. I learnt how to load a dishwasher and which is the best cleaner to use on my shower, I learnt how often you should dust and how to use a lawnmower. I figured things out for myself and it gave me back my little bit of freedom that I had lost when I was at home.

James often wanted cleaners to come in to get the job done quicker and every so often, I agree it'd be nice to have someone to cook meals for us, but I find comfort in doing it myself. James does not. He'd happily have people wait upon him and that is one of the reasons why we are so very different.

But it was nice to have a helping hand today. Harry was chucking clothes in the washing machine whilst I packed away our shoes and toiletries, and once the first cycle was done, I took it out and hung it on the line whilst Harry prepared the next load.

For an hour or so it was like we were a normal family living in a house in the suburbs. And then I remembered my husband was upstairs in his man cave, furiously typing away on his computer like he always does. I never truly knew what he was up to in there, but I'd rather not know.

But for that short amount of time, we were a normal family. And I think I was still clinging onto that last little bit of African peace. I was basking in the sunshine we brought back for just a while longer. I wasn't ready to let it go yet.