Alternative Ending

"So, we have gotten the results back from your test" Dr. Maia said as my dad was standing up and I was sitting up on the bed. "Your scans showed that the cancer is continuing to spread, meaning the trial isn't working" she added as I slowly closed my eyes, not wanting to face reality. She started saying things but I tuned her out as I think about what I wanted to do. I could continue fighting but who says the next trial won't have the same effect.

"Is there another trial?" My dad question making me come back to reality

"No" I spoke not wanting to go through anymore pain. I don't want to be nauseous, tired, dizzy and so much more every single hour. I wanted to be done with this, I wanted to be free again.

"Sky, we can fight this" he pleaded as I shook my head. I was done fighting, I fought too much and I just want to live the rest of my life.

"I'm done fighting, I'm tired of it and I just want to live my life again." I begged, my dad doesn't understand the pain I have been through so he won't understand why I want to stop

"Sky-

"No you promised. You promised we would stop, so I am stopping whether you like it or not. I don't want us to fight and end up regretting anything so please" I begged more but this time I was crying. I was exhausted and I wanted to be done with this and I wish he could just understand that.

"Dr. Maia may we speak alone" my dad asked as she nodded her head and left the room with him. I started taking off the stuff that was connected to me, i wasn't gonna live the rest of my life here. Nurse gabby rushed to my room to stop but I didn't let her

"Gabby, I'm done with this. You have to understand, you watch patients go through this and you know how it ends" I tried reasoning with someone. The doctors should understand why I want to be done and I hope Dr. Maia will put some sense into my father.

"I get it, you've been through a lot but are you sure you don't want to try another trial. What if that one works and you are cancer free?" She was optimistic, I understand why it's apart of her job but I didn't need someone optimistic right now.

"And what if that trial doesn't work either? What if it ends up killing me? I would have wasted the rest of my time left in this fucking hospital, having my soul sucked out of me. I just want to be done" I yelled as I pulled the last wire out and broke down "I just want to be happy again" I sobbed letting all of the emotions out. No kid should be going through this but so many of us are and don't know how to cope with the idea that you're dying whether you like it or not.

"I know Skylar, I'm so sorry this is happening to you" nurse gabby gave me a hug as I sobbed until my dad came back into the room.

"Gabby, can I talk to Skylar privately please" my dad spoke as she nodded her head and walked out.

"Sky, the next trial can work" he pleaded, I could see the tears flow out of him and he tried to hold it back but we were talking about my death right now.

"Read mom's journal and then we will talk again" I said not wanting to fight over this again. I know my mom wrote about her journey, I briefly went over it and I know he has the journals. "Talk to me about this after reading what she went through so you'll understand how I feel" I got up from the bed slowly, my dad grabbing me for stability. "I'm going home dad"

"I'll get the discharge papers" he sighed. He was fighting himself over this, I know he wants to keep fighting but it's not his choice anymore. I started packing my bag but it took a bit longer than usual.

"I made an appointment with Dr. Maia to see what are our options and the next step. I know what you're gonna say but I just want you to hear Dr. Maia out. I will still read Lizzie's journal to understand everything" dad said as I nodded my head, internally thanking him. Once he finished the discharge papers, he grabbed my bags and we finally headed home. Once I got home, I headed upstairs and took a nap with ash.