001

*** 10 Years later ***

The song playing over the radio is the only sound I can hear in my little apartment. I am standing near the window staring at the city below. It is still early morning with little going on at the moment and the same goes for me.

 It is still early morning with little going on at the moment and the same goes for me

I am waiting on a call.

I lift my phone to my face to look at the time. 5 Am. I was informed that there is a job opportunity that requires someone of my expertise to look into it. Safe to say I am not going to jump at the chance at this little job but I'd rather know what I am getting myself into.

My phone lifts up with a call notification.

"Good Morning, Agent."

I cock my head to the side. "Morning. What's the job?"

"Babysitting and investigation."

Twisting my lips to the side. "You said someone of my expertise, never trained to be a bodygaurd-"

"But isn't it perfect for someone like you? You are an Assassin. A Hitman. Who better than having someone that is so good at killing to protect someone but killing them before they even have the chance to touch the VIP."

"I need more details."

"We have a lot of blanks if I have to be honest."

"So no real motive?"

He clears his throat. "We think that people are after our VIP. Maybe it is someone that is close to the VIP that is a criminal.  The call we received asked for our best and someone that can lead their own investigations and I told them that you are ten times the normal rate."

"Only ten times?"

"Want the job or not?"

I need more details. "Who is the VIP?"

"There are five of them. Will send you an address. One of them wants to meet up with you and just run a few things through with you and figure out if you are the person they are looking for."

I scoff. "Who I am looking for? Sounds more like a trap."

"I already ran the background check. They aren't."

"Then why even ask to meet me to verify something? That I can do my job?"

"To make sure that you are fine with what they expect from you." He counters. "This isn't going to be your average bodyguarding I can assure you of that much. So can I tell them you will meet with them?"

"I'll meet with them."

"Sending over the details. Take it easy until then, Agent."

I cut the call. Glancing back at the sun rising between the buildings. "I always do."

So five VIP's want a single person to look into being their security detail along with doing an investigation with the off chance that there might be something plotting against them in a criminal sense.

My phone lights up. Eight PM. 9th Street. Horizon Eats. Your reservation ID is 'Eve.'

Guess my plans for the night have been settled. I walk towards the room tucked in the back of my apartment behind a panel, sitting down at the desk I turn on the lamp to reveal a small little case tied with a ribbon.

I cock my head at it. Engraved on the lid is my name.

I undo the ribbon and lift the case to see a note slide out from underneath. Lifting it I notice my dad's handwriting. I don't read the note but put the lid aside to see a small little trinket attached to a chain necklace.

A metal plate with his initials engraved into it along with his Assassin code. 

I return my attention to the note reading:

I may not have lived long enough in this life to be the one fighting your battles. In that regard, I failed as a father.

But I hope I was able to give you the tools to win this battle and every future battle. I hope that in that regard I was able to be a father.

~A

I smile to myself as I look at the board in front of me, using a thumbtack to press it into the board I take a deep breath. He died two years ago, I was gone for most of my childhood after being bullied and treated like shit in school.

Dad sent me to an old friend of his and she turned me into what I am now. He couldn't, he wished he was the one to train me but he had my mom, brother, and sister to care for. He left that life behind and gave me the option to become stronger the same way he did.

Mom doesn't talk to me anymore.

She hates that I took after him.

***   ***   ***

Heading to pick up my sister. I don't get to see or talk to her as much as I want to due to mom not wanting me to influence them into doing what dad got me into. I can't really get to my brother seeing he is still in high school.

But my sister being in college is a hell of a lot easier to meet up with.

I spot her coming out through the doorway. Surrounded by a group of friends, I stood with my hands in my pockets near the campus' exit, she pretty much spots me instantly and quickly turns to her friends before heading towards me without them.

She dives into my chest. "Hey!"

I return the hug. "Hey. Thought I'd swing by to see how you are doing."

"By standing here all mysterious-like?"

"If it works it works." She pulls away from me as I glance towards her friends.

"I am doing good. Not any problems."

I look back at her. "Any boy problems?"

She pushes her lips out and shakes her head. "Nope. Not at all. Well, right now I am playing this game where they are figuring out who you are and so far that alone is pretty funny on its own to hear all the speculation."

"As long as you are enjoying yourself." I chuckle, then look back at the group. One of the guys is giving me the stink eye.

"How is work?"

"Meh."

"Come on." She pouts at me. "You never tell me."

I twist my lips to the side. "I mean... could have been worse, could have been better." I brush over the specifics usually, they don't really have a reason to be interested or to know what I am doing to a full extent.

"Fine fine. Mom asked about you."

I cock my head. "She knows about our meeting?"

She nods. "I mean I have been telling her about it, she has been pretty livid about it but has been asking me if you are doing well and such. Dunno. Might be a smart idea to swing by and say hi to the woman that gave birth to you."

I narrow my eyes. "If she doesn't start lecturing me about my life choices."

"Nah. She misses you too much to care about that."

"Maybe."

She then gestures back to her friends. "I am going to hop along now. Think about it, we could grab dinner with that money that you have been earning."

I roll my eyes. "See you around, Tracey."