057

"You look like shit," Shin remarks when she settles beside the car.

"Feel like shit," I state, then popping in the last few bags in the trunk of one of the transports we stole and scavenging the keys off of their corpses.

I lift my head to spot Evelynn on top of the bonnet, the AR she ripped from one of the soldiers resting in her lap as her eyes are locked onto the streets. The rest of the girls are trying to get what they need before we disappear up until I clean up this mess.

Shin taps my arm to bring my attention back to her. "You can't push forever. There's a point and time where you need to consider if dying to put someone else into the same mass grave as you really worth it."

"Got a job to do."

"You don't. You threw away your agency credentials, no matter how this ends. You will die."

I cock my head at her. "Is this you trying to convince me to stop myself?"

Liz chuckles as she interrupts the conversation, "Shin here doesn't want her only friend in the world to die for the very reason he became one of the best this agency had to offer. Though," she lifts her handgun towards my head but the barrel is pointed a bit past my face. "Should have let me kill you, then the bounty wouldn't be there."

"And be known as the only person to kill me?" I ask her.

She shakes her head. "No. That you know that the person that killed the Best Agent that was your close friend. I killed that life off you and you get to move on from that world into the next."

She spins the gun between her fingers before grabbing it by the barrel. She pushes the gun into my gut, I grab it and she grabs my wrist with a serious expression.

"Noticed you lost your arm. Keep mine, don't lose it because after this is done you won't be able to see either of us for your own safety."

I nod. "This isn't goodbye. I don't see this ending tonight, if it did end tonight I will be sharing a grave with the people I hate the most," I glance at Shin through the corner of my eye. "Only got so much more to give before I run out of steam."

Liz then takes a deep breath. "Though on the other hand, hook me up with your sister and I might retire early."

I put her gun into my empty holster. "Get the girls."

I walk away from the two and head to Evelynn who is watching the road carefully.

"Agent no more."

"Had to save my own skin, sometimes it requires taking a sacrifice."

She chuckles. "Sacrifices happen for a reason, you can't discount anybody's sacrifice because you'd never really be able to understand why they did it in the first place... unless it is some sort of blood pact."

She glances at me over her shoulder. "Two more heads, Agent. Get them for me and I promise you everything you have done for my family... I will personally repay you any way you want."

"What brought this?"

"Forgive me for sounding presumptuous but you gave it up for us, even if your reasoning is incredibly selfish... your goals align with mine and by the end of it you would have done the job that I asked you even if you never did it for me."

I lower my gaze slightly, I walk up to her and rest against the bonnet. I take a deep breath through my nose before I mutter.

"I'm tired."

"And you have nowhere to go."

I twist my lips to the side. "My reasoning is incredibly selfish, I must admit that. I never really intended on caring for your relationships with those men because I knew if I killed them in cold blood you'd be better off."

"I got you for a reason."

I nod. "Things changed, situations changed."

"Meaning that you fucked with Akali?"

I shut my eyes with a chuckle. "Not wrong either."

"I'm never wrong."

I then announce. "I don't know what I want from you, I don't know what I want from the world because after I drive the final nail into that coffin... a part of me will die with it. I am going to feel empty, I prepared myself that when the last one dies that the feeling of relief will be nothing but disappointment."

She shakes her head. "Retribution, it will be paid in blood." She cocks her head at me, then with a smile. "I only wish that we could have met sooner, if Pathos ever met you I'd have a feeling that I wouldn't be able to turn my back on you."

"Would you have the girls?"

"I'd have to find a way to convince you, right?"

I ask her. "Is this your proposition?"

"Please. You are welcome to stay with us when this all ends, Akali would be angry at me if you ended up never showing up because you had to choose between one reward or the other."

"Do you want me around?" I ask her.

"Want me to say it aloud?"

I lift my shoulders into a shrug. "People don't tell each other that they care for each other nearly enough as they should. We get complacent, and one day lose that chance to ever say something because they were taken away from us. I was never like that," I admit. "I always say what I wanted to say because my biggest fear is that for someone... tomorrow will never come."

She scoots closer, then leans to whisper to me. "If tomorrow won't come for you, take it. Because we fight for what we deserve. But for the sake of clarity, when the graves have been filled. Stay with us, if there is nowhere else for you to go."

I nod, and I then lean into her. We share a brief kiss before I feel my energy being drained from me, I was bound to crash sooner or later. I rest against her, resting in her comforting embrace before we have to hit the road.

I need sleep.

Desperately.

She whispers to me. "Rest for a bit. For now, we can have that much."