043

Sitting on the couch, I have my eyes shut tight but I am too tired to fall asleep.

My mind won't let me rest, my nerves won't let me go to bed. It is dead quiet, I hear someone walk over the gravel path towards the door. I instantly lift myself and head to the door opening it before they get a chance to even think about knocking.

She freezes in the spot. "Did I startle you?"

I look her up and down. Kai'Sa is dressed in her pyjamas with a heavy coat around her.

"Are you okay?"

She nods. "I want you to show me, that you weren't lying to me."

I gesture for her to walk in, she slides past me and I shut the door behind her. Walking her to the backroom I don't offer her anything else because it would feel like I am trying to postpone when she wants answers.

I plug in a backup device with the camera feed.

She is watching the screen intensely. I let it play without stopping, I can see the moment her intense stare shifts into heartbreak, she doesn't lower her gaze, and she doesn't tell me to stop but instead watches all ten minutes of the interaction.

The moment it stops I pause the feed and she lowers her gaze to her legs. Her face is hidden behind her hair.

"Did you ask her to do that?" she finally asks.

"I have no control over anyone. Liz wouldn't have listened to me either, because this isn't her contract."

"Okay," her voice was brittle and frail.

We sit in each other's presence for a moment longer before I switch the security system back over and lift myself out of the seat. I want to console her but she doesn't know me, I don't know her.

I then offer. "You can stay here if that would make you feel more comfortable. I won't bother you at all," she doesn't respond, "if not I'll walk you back to the house."

"Can you... talk to me?"

"What about?"

"Anything," she sounds like she is on the verge of tears.

She lifts herself and walks out of the room. I glance at the screens one last time before shutting the door behind her as she sits on the couch with an empty stare. I boil the kettle with the thought of making something to drink.

I don't know what to talk about.

I look at the kettle.

"The only gift I ever gave to anyone was a kettle," I lower my head slightly. "I forgot it was my Dad's birthday, I was late because I had some problems at school so I couldn't make it in time before he left for the night shift."

"I cried because it was the first time I planned on doing something for him but I couldn't because a lot of things were stopping me. I lost the money I had with me to buy something."

"Coincidentally it was the day mom bought a new kettle because we used to boil our tea and coffee on the stove because mom used to like it that way but got annoyed having to spend a long time just to boil things."

"She gave me the kettle to wrap up, and that was the first time I got someone a gift, also the last."

She then asks in her brittle tone, "What was his reaction?"

"The reaction you'd expect from a father. Pretended to be shocked and surprised that I'd known that all he wanted was to wake up in the mornings and not wait an hour to get something to drink."

She chuckles slightly, "Those his exact words?"

"I can't remember," I clenched my fists, my knuckles burning, "looking back at it all these years I still feel kind of stupid for freaking out when it never mattered to him. The only thing that mattered was the people around him, the people he loved."

"The only thing I can remember him by is that he tried even when it didn't matter," I then chuckle, "Coincidentally it is also the last gift I have given someone because a year after that I left my home to become... well... this."

"Was it your choice?"

I hesitate before answering, "My dad was a retired Agent." I realize that I didn't answer her question because thinking about it I made a choice thinking I never had one, to begin with.

"It was my choice," I finally state.

"Why?"

"Because I was scared of someone. My Dad saw that fear and did what any father would do, gave me the tools to win any future battle so that I never felt so helpless in my life again."

Even if it did cost my relationship with my mother, even it did change me as a person.

Even if it is all just for revenge.

"Sorry. The only thing I could think about was my past. Because I looked at a kettle."

She chuckles though I can tell she isn't much better than before. "I appreciate it... it's helping."