021

Back at the security house. I am standing near the gate trying to calm down in the cold air to stop myself from going out to kill those kids for what they did to Tracey. I open my phone and make a call.

"Handler."

"Agent."

"There is going to be a story about kids being assaulted in their house. I am going to call in that favour you owe me to make sure that their parents don't dare take it further if they value the lives of their kids."

"Oh?" He chuckles. "Shin really has rubbed off on you."

"They assaulted someone in my family."

The call goes quiet. "I can't do that."

I grind my teeth together. "You-"

"Fuck the favour. I'll make sure they can't go to bed at night without fearing for their lives. I'll have one of the E-class agents find some dirt and then we can hold it over them till you decide if you'd rather shoot them or not."

I ask him. "This sounds personal, Handler. Aren't you supposed to get emotional?"

"I knew your father. I was there before you could even hold a knife properly. They'll get what is coming to them." Then clearing his throat. "Oh... and head's up. A killer is after you." The call cuts.

That settles that.

I am going to need Shin in the future to do some carving.

I rub my face.

Frustrating. I want to go out and do right by my sister to show her that the world isn't just black and that people like me get our hands dirty to keep it from muddying the waters even further. That she doesn't feel like it is all for nothing.

But I don't get it. She looked like she was having fun.

Or this is just another person that really likes beating others up? I would be there ruining their lives but I have to do this... my work takes priority and this is as much as I can do for Tracey at the moment.

It makes me want to fast-track this, even if those five end up hating me.

I shut my eyes. Not thinking about anything, just feeling the cool midnight air against my skin so that I regain my composure because my thoughts are all over the place. Taking one final deep breath I hear someone walk across the gravel.

"Why are you out here so late?"

I open my eyes to see Akali wearing a hoodie, her hands tucked into the front pockets. Wearing shorts and sandals.

"It is one in the morning. You should be asleep.... this is also part of my job."

She then sides next to me. "Well... I was feeling a bit paranoid and just wanted to talk to someone to just calm down and who else than the person whose job is to make me feel safe."

I shake my head at her. "Good reasoning."

She then yawns. "Yeah, I do have good reasons."

I watch her carefully, her gaze often travelling to the shrubs in the garden. Does she think someone is following her? Why would she not feel safe in her own house? I then push myself away from the gate.

"Hey, wait-"

I suggest, "Let's get somewhere warmer before you end up blaming me for a cold."

She walks with me towards the security house. I instantly turn on the kettle as she sits on the couch. I leave her for a moment to finish making her something to drink before setting it down in front of her and then walking towards the window to see if I can spot anything.

"You don't feel safe?"

"Just paranoid."

I take a stab at the dark. "Think someone is invading your privacy? I take it to you and Tony don't share a bed."

"I..." she sighs heavily, "no we don't."

"Is he harassing you?"

"No," she answers quickly. "I don't think so but I just want to be somewhere where I can feel a bit safer just to calm down."

I then state. "You aren't making sense. Who would be making you feel on edge?"

She sighs. "Maybe he was trying to get into my room... I don't know. I can't say for certain because I couldn't fall asleep and have been jumpy all day long."

I close the curtains and see her curled up at the edge of the couch. I walk towards my room and grab a blanket folded on top of the bed and hand it to her so that she can at least warm herself up.

"Why entertain them?"

She furrows her brow. "What do you mean?"

"Correct me if I am wrong, but it is pretty obvious that they are just forcing you to get along with him at this point... and coming from an outside perspective him chasing you the way he does makes him look desperate."

"I guess it can look that way." She lowers her gaze, resting her head against the arm of the couch.

"Are you saying that I am wrong?"

"I don't know what I am saying." She sighs.

I shake my head. "I can't help you there. I am not a consultant and am just giving you the same advice I would have given anyone else in a situation that looks like they are just playing along for the sake of others rather than her own sake."

"I don't know what to do." She furrows her brow at me.

I drop down on the opposite end of the couch. "Do what you want to do."

We grow quiet. I said all I had to say and I should just leave her to do what she wants to do, I can't make that decision for her this way... but I need her to make a decision now because I have a feeling that Tony knows she is here with me.

I feel her scoot closer to me. "You are useless," she grumbles as she lies against me.

"What are you doing?"

"You aren't stopping me." She counters. "I am tired... and... I feel safe around you."

"Part of the job-"

"You look dependable like I'd always be safe around you. That you won't use my feelings against me and try to gaslight me into believing something. It is real. It feels real."

Her tone is super sleepy, she is barely staying awake. I rest my arms around her shoulder to hold her and let her get some sleep.

I can't help but smile to myself at the irony.

Trained to be a murderer and she tells me that she feels safe around me. That someone that lives in deceit feels real to her. I can't help but chuckle to myself thinking how silly it sounds and yet I appreciate the gesture even if only a little bit.

But if everyone is gaslighting you to be with a guy you hate, if you are so scared to leave him that it might affect the relationships of those around you... then it must be a grand relief to be able to get that off of your chest and not having to worry.

I can understand.

I lift her carefully and walk her to my bed and tuck her under the covers. Joining her is pushing it because it might just be pushing that boundary and also shattering her vision of being safe around me.

I mean I can read signals but then again I can misunderstand sometimes.

Why am I trying to justify this to myself? I ask myself as I get comfortable on the couch and rest my eyes for a bit before the day starts.