061

"Up early for someone that slept the entire day."

I hear Liz walk into the basement where all of the backup equipment is held for anyone that may be hiding out. I just needed some serious rest because that attack kicked the life out of me and I am headed back into it already.

"Hey," she calls for me, I set the weapon on the table before turning my attention to her, "if you don't give me any attention I will make it known that you are ready to leave and make it so much harder for you."

"Harder?" I cross my arms. "Blood price hasn't been paid yet, was thinking my legacy within the order would remain forever as the idiot that still finished his job."

Walking up to me. "Let's talk about that for a second."

"Want to kill me?" I ask her.

"Oh, this is why I love you, know what I have on my mind." She walks over to one of the tables filled with sidearms, grabs one, pops out the mag and pulls back the slider to empty the chamber.

"The Agency will be after you know that right? You still have a price on your head because of the people you are hunting and it would be best to get rid of it the best way possible."

I twist my lips to the side. "You know what that implies, right?"

She looks at me with a smile. Then lifting the empty gun towards me, it clicks with her scoffing. "I've seen the way you are around these girls, you will never be coming back unless someone decided to fuck with them."

"I'm not ready to let go of it yet," I admit. "That place is still a part of me and it made me who I am, the only connection I have left with the man that made me the way I am."

She shakes her head. "Silly little boy still thinking his dad the best for him."

I twist my lips to the side. "He did do what he could do, if he had to go back that would mean he would leave Mom behind, leave my sister behind... so he chose the option that would-"

"He left all of you behind, is he here?"

I chuckle before I sigh. "Good old, Liz. Not a shred of empathy to spare anyone."

She points to her head. "Killed my dad because he let my mom die, I killed my sister because she sold my body to people that wanted to feel something. There isn't any room for empathy, there isn't any room for weakness."

"Friendship is weakness," I counter, "they taught us that at a very early stage."

"Not if you are friends with the Reaper," she smirks. "You were never like us, you had the capacity to be both a human and a monster, the rest of us had the humanity sliced out of us like a tumour."

I glance at the rifle on the table. "You'll find someone to love, when you do, you'll understand."

"You reckon?"

I return my gaze to her. "I believe you will."

"Then is your sister on the table?"

I furrow my brow at her. "Is this some twisted way of trying to get closer to me?"

She winks at me. "Anything to fuck with you, and not the way you want it to be."

"There is one I'd prefer over the other-"

"Then that one." She taps the barrel at her temple. "But before I kill you, mind telling me what changed? Has your hate gone away? Because I don't really know what you are doing this for."

I lock eyes with her. "Afraid I don't have an answer for you."

She sighs before grabbing the mag, she slides it in and walks up to me. "To your Health," she places the barrel of the gun against my forehead. "Because for people like us, there is no way out."

I flash her a smile. "It's hard to know, life's short."

She nods. "We don't want the same things," her hand travels sideways as she pulls the trigger. The shot echoes through my head, nearly deafening me as I read the words on her lips, "Don't blame yourself."

For a brief moment, I see a sincere smile on her face, that is instantly replaced with a hollow stare as she drops the gun to her side and tossing it to the table. The ringing fades away as she digs her hands into her pockets.

"Goodbye, Killer. I would tag along but I'd just get in the way."

I rub my ear. "This doesn't need to mean goodbye-"

"Nah." She crosses her arms. "I told you, we have a policy and as a dead Agent this is the last time we will be seeing each other... or did you forget about that?" She looks at the door. "You can stop hiding, Shin. Listening in is a nasty habit."

She walks through the door. "Fuck you and your morals," she looks at me with an empty stare. "This is a Blue Monday, I doubt it can get any worse than this."

I lower my gaze, I forgot that I don't exist anymore.

I forgot that this is the last time we will be meeting like this.

Shin walks up to me. "Just know that you have Devil watching over you and she'll do a hell of a lot more than any Angel is willing to do for you."

"Try to make some friends."

She shakes her head. "I prefer the corpses, they don't talk back to me."

"Only if you prod them," I chuckle.

She shakes her head at me, still not displaying any emotion. "That is an entirely different thing," she looks at Liz. "I'll stick around for a bit to make sure these girls stay safe but when you are done, we won't be here."

"Goodbye, Shin."

She gives me a firm nod. "Dying is overrated, take it from me."

***   Shin POV   ***

The basement is soundproofed, the girls upstairs should still be asleep. We helped gearing him up and just left with one of the trucks, I dig my hands deep into my coat as I watch the dust kick up behind the vehicle.

"Going to be lonelier."

"You still have me," she smiles at me.

"Going to be lonelier still," I purse my lips, "is there really no way out? You implied it, but I want to know what you really think."

She sighs. "He found a reason, I am waiting for a reason and until then this is our goodbye. I won't be able to see any of those gorgeous women again... no more easy money from the best Killer we had."

I remark. "Less torture as well. If it stays quiet I might pack my bags."

"Retiring?"

"Can't." I lift my shoulders. "Don't have a life to go off to, the Agency has kept my background shrouded because if they didn't I'd be on a hitlist. But if it doesn't pick up with someone else wanting to take his place... I'll be relocating to a different Agency."

Liz sighs. "Take me with you?"

"Leave me alone."

"Please?"

"Why would you?"

She winks at me. "You are the only one I have left."