064

*** Three Months Later ***

The song playing over the radio is the only sound I can hear in this huge house. I am standing near the window staring at the traffic of ants roaming through the garden bed wondering if there is any real reason to deal with them. It is still early morning with little going on at the moment but the same can't be said for them.

I am waiting on a call.

I lift my phone to my face to look at the time. 5 Am. I was informed that there is a job opportunity that requires someone of my expertise to look into it. Safe to say I am not going to jump at the chance at this little job but I'd rather know what I am getting myself into.

My phone lifts up with a call notification.

"Good Morning, Agent."

I cock my head to the side before I answer the phone with a sigh. "What's the job?"

Seraphine laughs over the phone. "Did not think you were going to play along with me."

I rub the back of my neck. "Not really considering you got me up at the crack of dawn and then none of you aren't even here." I stretch my arms as I pin the phone against my ear and shoulder. "What's up?"

"Hm mhm. Just calling to make sure you don't miss us." I glance around at the empty house. "You do miss us?"

"The house is definitely emptier," I admit.

"Can count on you to point out all of the details, listen we are going to be back from the trip. Was supposed to be a secret but I felt like I needed to let you know that we'll be back sooner than you'd think."

"Got it," I nod to myself. "I'll fix up breakfast for the five of you," I glance at the clock. "See you when you get here in like... how long?"

"Two hours."

With a deep breath, I muster a slight smile. "See you soon."

I cut the call and headed straight for my room to get dressed. I stop by the dresser to look at the memorial that I made on the corner with a picture of my dad with me and the rest of the family before the incident.

On the back of the frame, I engraved the message into the wood to always remember it.

I may not have lived long enough in this life to be the one fighting your battles. In that regard, I failed as a father.

But I hope I was able to give you the tools to win this battle and every future battle. I hope that in that regard I was able to be a father.

~A

"You did," I run my finger over the engraving before returning back to my day.

That night, the illusive Pathos herself decided to follow me into the belly of the beast. She explained that she took out a good amount of the reinforcements and took care of everyone that tried to run away to keep my identity hidden for as long as it mattered.

I took two bullets in the leg and the other one in my side didn't hit anything important other than grazing the bone. I lucked out but it was hard to explain how and why to the local hospital seeing as I don't have the Agency's resources anymore.

I haven't heard from Shin or Liz.

She meant it but I was hoping that maybe I could show them that I did what I wanted the most and now I am living a life that some would argue is boring but I somehow find it a lot more entertaining and it passes time even quicker

Though... I have been making sure to keep my skills sharp.

The girls were happy to have me as a bodyguard and as a housemate that somehow turned into a househusband but I don't have a way to explain it in a way where it will make sense. They have been out for a week to handle sales for their brands and promote it but I couldn't come along due to me still recovering from my injuries.