058

I wake up to the sound of the engine, it didn't just start because we've been on the road for a while at the sound of it. I don't ever remember climbing into any vehicle and didn't even stop to consider if I am still with the people I thought I was.

If I was going to be sent to a prison somewhere because I finally got caught then I am going to need to rest up anyway because they'd have a new prison to fill up after they put me in there.

"Hey..." I hear someone whisper to me. I open my eyes slightly to see Seraphine in my vision. "Sorry, didn't mean to wake you but it felt like you woke up."

I shake my head. "It's fine, are you fine though?" I ask.

"Bit shaken."

"And me borrowing you like this?"

"You look incredibly tired." She whispers back with a pained smile. "Because of you, well I don't even want to think about what and where we would have been without you so I don't make it at least a bit comfortable for you."

Comfortable, I don't think you can get any more comfortable than this but there is always an attempt. I manage to close my eyes even for a brief moment of respite and here is hoping that the moment this car stops that I am not at the end of another barrel.

I lift my head from her lap and settle back, I crack my neck to get rid of the stiffness only to see Evelynn in the front seat with the AR resting between her legs while Shin is driving us with only the two of us in the back.

The rest of them must be in the vehicle in front of us.

I rest my hand on my neck, rubbing it a bit to warm my muscles before I hear her ask me.

"Sore?"

I shake my head. "Just been stiff ever since the crash." I don't want her to think that her attempt to give me a bit of comfort just made it worse because sleeping in a car is arguably the worst place to fall asleep.

There are plenty of worse places obviously.

"Long day for all of us," she tries to smile but I can't help but notice the sadness in it. "Just happy that we have all of these people to help us out..."

"Sorry for stirring up your world," I shut my eyes tightly while resting my head backward. "If there were ways to do this without letting all of you go through all of this then I'd have taken that path."

Liar.

I know if I wanted to do that I'd have killed them on sight with little judgment. Though that would have scarred them, it would have probably been a far worse outcome and they'd believe that because of who they are... people would pay to have their loved ones killed.

How I've been going at it is favorable but ever since I let those two walk away without a bullet lodged into their skulls is costing me more than I am willing to offer. And I am dedicated to using everything I have to kill the last two of them.

"You've done plenty for us."

I open my eyes again only to see her expression, I can't help but feel a little bit at fault. But then again that doesn't last long knowing that they'd be worse off but the situation is nothing they'd ever want to be in

"Sorry, if only I was better."

She quickly looks at me. "No I don't blame you at all, I am very grateful for everything you have done but..."

"Doesn't stop it from being what it is."

She only nods, thinning her lips as she shuffles around on her seat trying to get a little bit more comfortable. While the two of us have our silent conversation I can hear Evelynn and Shin talk to each other about the situation and both of their pasts.

I express to her. "You can rest against me."

She doesn't take a moment to verify it with me and instantly scoots closer to rest her head against my shoulder. Taking a deep breath she whispers to me.

"I just want it all to be over. I don't want to sit scared that they will come for us at any moment."

I just want it all to be over.

"I felt like that once," I state. "Had a bad streak in my life growing up that pushed me to become what I am now, it will make you stronger even when you don't want it to do that. But as long as I am around nothing will happen to any of you."

"And after that?"

I chuckle. "Not Nany Mcphee."

I manage to get a slight giggle from her, even if strained. "Shut up, but that's nice to hear."

"I am pretty free on decisions and have plenty to choose from when it comes down to it. But right now just making sure all of you are safe before I finally finish what I was hired to do is my biggest priority."

"Don't kill yourself for us," she expresses.

I let my smile fade. "Forgive my selfishness, but killing them... that isn't for any of you. Even though it aligns perfectly with your safety which is just as important to me... the killing is for retribution."

She only nods. "I've seen what it drives people into doing, I can look at you and see how tired and drained you are... I just don't want to see you grind to a halt."

"World isn't fair like that."

"But-"

I shake my head. "I do this because I lost more to them, more than I can ever take from them."

Even if I stole everything, even if I killed everything else that I can't take for myself. Even if I made sure they saw it all disappear... even if the last thing they see is my blood-stained face... that will never make up for what I lost.

It won't bring him back, but it sure as hell will make it all so much more satisfying when I see the life drain from their eyes.

Two left now.

Two more names.

Two more for the grave.

"I'm sorry," she whispers to me. "I wish I could know how you really felt, about it all."

I glance at her, seeing her shut her eyes tightly to in turn get some rest. "Let me handle it, it is what I grew up to do. It'll all be over soon."