023

***   ???   POV   ***

With my hands dug in my pockets I head to this meet-up that was sent to me the moment I landed. Why do I have a feeling that this is just one person slowly trying to get rid of the Agency by inviting us into the slaughterhouse one by one?

Walking past one group of men and into the building that I recognise from their description. The moment I step in someone lifts his hand to stop me, holding his gun far from me but aimed at my gut.

"Nice place," I remark.

"Hunter?"

"One of them," I nod, "so are we here to talk business or are you planning on seeing how I kill you with your own gun?"

He lowers his gun and then gestures for me to follow him.

We don't walk far until I see the person giving orders around here. I stop near him as his little goon gets his attention for me, this looks like an entire operation here. I have never been hired by a Crime Syndicate before but they are paying better than the good guys so you won't see me complaining.

Well... if I am going after who I think I am going after then I might complain a little bit.

He walks up to me sticking out his hand. "Pleasure to finally meet you."

I only look at it. "Talk business, first. I can still decline the offer."

"Need someone dead. Someone from your Agency."

***   Normal POV   ***

I never got a chance to look at that office, I have a feeling that the moment I step into that office I will find out a lot of things but the problem is getting in there without triggering every alarm in that building.

I glance towards the building, furrowing my brow slightly.

Wonder if Akali is holding up alright. Bernard isn't here which in itself is pretty suspicious knowing that this Hunter has landed here today... with the information network we have at our disposal I should be able to find out a lot more with help.

But I can't do that.

I receive another call. I lift it to my ear. "Talk to me."

"I have good news, scared the families from making any moves on you after we fabricated a lot of evidence to use against them. I did a little digging and one of the families is related to one of the bastards that turned you into what you are."

"Hmm?"

"Giovanni. The last name ring a bell?"

I nod. "Hector's family."

"There you have it. They won't be doing much, the parents of that company are actively sending gifts towards your family to ask for forgiveness." He then chuckles before asking. "After they are done repenting we will send all of the information to a news outlet."

"Thanks, Handler."

He snorts. "Your Father would have wanted the same thing. I don't want to stick around to see another family lose their child to this line of work... well I am going to admit that your family does have a knack for killing."

"Runs in our blood." I spot someone approaching me. "Got to go. I appreciate the effort, Handler."

"Say less."

The call cuts.

I turn around to see Evelynn watching me with a narrow stare. "Good Morning." She looks amused rather than upset.

"Morning."

She crosses her arms locking eyes with me. "Mind enlightening me why I spot Akali walking out of your little building so early in the morning?" I watch her as she chuckles. "I mean she can do what she wants but I am just wondering how this stands with your contract."

I counter. "She felt anxious and unsafe in her own room so she came to me."

Her expression fades into concern. "What happened?"

I cross my arms. "She came to me, didn't want to talk about it but I let her sleep in the bed while I kept watch from the living room to see if someone is after her. I couldn't see anything but her EX has been harassing her."

She balls her fists, she looks back at the building and takes a deep breath. This is where it starts and the sooner we get Tony to lash out the quicker his friends will abandon him and I get to kill them all the quicker.

"Sorry... and thank you for telling me the truth."

I then repeat myself. "My contract stipulates that the five of you are the only people I am to protect."

"That doesn't mean emotionally-"

"I can make exceptions."

She looks back at me, she is contemplating whether or not she wants to leave it in my capable hands or just wring the life out of his neck herself. I can tell Evelynn isn't someone that scares easily, and I can tell that she could very well have fitted into my line of work with her personality.

I could tell from our first meeting.

"I'll leave it in your capable hands." She breathes out. "If he acts up, then you have my permission to do what you need to do to keep his hands off Akali."

"And his friends?"

"I'll handle them."

She walks away from me. That alone has made it significantly easier for me to d what I plan to do just by letting her know what is going on... she cares about the girls more than anything else so it should reach the others... or maybe protect them it won't.

It doesn't matter because I will win at the end of this.

***    Akali POV   ***

Sitting down in the living room, everyone else is pretty much busy with their own thing and Tony has been creating some distance between the two of us. I still don't feel like I can relax at all, that any of them will be here to talk to me.

I almost jump out of my skin as someone silently drops down next to me. "We need to talk like adults."

I glance to my side to see Evelynn watching me with an angry expression. "E... Evelynn?"

"Hmmm." She narrows her eyes. "Something tells me you are a bit guilty if you are calling me by my full name."

"No, I-"

She sighs before smiling at me. "Talk to me, Akali. What are they doing to you? I am pissed because you actively made the decision not to talk to us about you and Tony. Are the others gaslighting you?"

I don't know how to answer. I hesitate before whimpering, "I don't know, Eve. I just..."

She sighs before pulling me into a hug. "Us before them. Know that, right?"

"Hm mhm."