049

I hear a soft knock on the door and someone walking through it. I am still seated at the kitchen table watching Akali slowly tread into the room. I lift myself and she quickly closes the distance to hug me.

"Ahri doesn't blame you, she is just very pissed off."

"What about Seraphine?"

She shakes her head, "Not... everyone is in the same place with no idea what to do or to expect. They spent a long time with them and the moment Hector told us... it was like watching each of their hearts shatter, (Y/N)."

I tighten the hug. "It's never easy dealing with these people. Though just be there for them because I don't think anyone wants me to be the one cheering them up."

"Not exactly your field of expertise."

I cock my head. "The first thing I talked to Kai'Sa about after ruining her two-year relationship is a fucking kettle so there is that."

She pulls away with a furrowed brow, "Are... what are you talking about?"

I shake my head. "Nothing. Just  forget about that thought for now."

Breaking apart Evelynn walks in. I hold my stare but she isn't wearing the same expression she wore, this one looks almost a little bit sad.

"Sorry about talking about your past without your consent on the matter but I needed to explain the reason why you would just kill Jerico where he stood in the halls after Kai broke it off with him."

I ask instead, "How do you know?"

"I have a contact. You should know that money is a good motivator," she walks up to me handing me another payment, "Another corpse in the grave."

Akali sits down on one of the seats, "How are they?"

"Ahri is livid. Kai'Sa is grieving. Sera is freaked out."

Akali nods slowly, "I hope they will be fine."

"They will be," Eve nods, "Seeing as you are constantly putting yourself up to the task of taking everything that was theirs away from them, now there are three heartbroken girls in there that need someone to relieve some of their bad feelings and move past it."

"Sounds more like needing someone to bounce off."

She stops me, "Do what you need to do which is finish the job. You can do whatever you want afterwards, no matter how this ends you already have my respect and I won't forget you even if you disappear."

Akali stops her, "Wait-"

"Hmm?"

"Isn't that a bad idea?"

I answer for Evelynn, "It can go both ways. Either as a quick bounce back to get someone to get rid of the feelings quicker and then you move on from both people or you just end up replacing the hole. Both can happen."

"He understands," Evelynn turns around, "You know what I want to be done, the quicker you do it the quicker we can all move on with our lives."

She leaves without saying a word further.

Akali asks me, "What do you want to do?" It doesn't look like she is opposed to the idea.

I answer truthfully, "I have a job to finish before I can make any sort of decision on the matter, but the moment I walk away from the Agency that is the end of that for me and I can't come back as an Agent."

"Or?"

I glance at the window, "I disappear. You won't see me ever again."

"I don't want that."

I nod, "The job comes first," then looking back at her, I can tell she is disappointed at my response, "When it ends that is the end for me, everything I did brought me to this exact moment."

"Does that mean... you will be staying?"

"If you'd have me."

She smiles up at me, "Then we better make sure that the rest of the girls wouldn't mind you sticking around... but I think putting you as security would just be tacky at that point."

I counter, "You wouldn't need anybody else if I am there."

"The idea is to move away from it, right?"

"I can move away from it but I can't get rid of a habit, the training I went through."

She nods, "I guess that is also true."

"More ways to keep you safe."

"But-"

"Yeah?"

She lifts herself, pouting at me, "I don't want you to go into this with this whole idea that you need to constantly protect us but that you just enjoy yourself?"

"What kind of a person wouldn't want to protect their partner?"

"P-partner?" she blushes but doesn't break eye contact, "I... I guess you are right."

I relax my stance and rest against the table, watching her over my shoulder, "Are you fine with this though? I mean-"

She shakes her head, "I honestly was scared that it would mean I was never going to see you again, but it feels selfish to want to ask you to give up everything just for me, or any of the girls for that matter."

"Not the question I was asking."

"I know. I am fine with it."

(Short one before going to bed. Forgib. See you next year.)