Chapter 3: No Longer Jedi

When they were in orbit, Halftail woke up and realized that Kanan had left the room, forgetting that he had watched him leave when he had closed his eyes. He rose to his paws and leaped from the bed. He turned his head and realized that he still only had half a tail. I had a dream where my tail was full like it should be but, that's why they're called dreams. They're never real, Halftail thought.

He stomped forward and the door swished open. He strode down the hallway and into what appeared to be a makeshift living room where he saw Bine laying on a couch. She laid with her head rested on her paws but her ears twitched and swiveled a bit on her head.

Halftail turned to leave but Bine's voice filled the room. "Halftail, is that you?"

He couldn't lie, so he sighed. "Yes, it's me. I didn't mean to wake you. I thought that maybe Kanan was in here," he rambled as he fumbled for answers.

Bine lifted her head and smiled. "Were you looking for Kanan," inquired Bine as she tilted her head as her tail tip twitched madly.

Halftail shook his head. He hadn't been looking for him, he just didn't want to tell Bine that he was secretly looking for her. "No, I don't know what I was looking for, nothing I suppose."

She purred warmly and patted the space beside her. "How about you come and sit by me then and tell me something about yourself since I don't really know a lot about you?

Halftail wasn't about to argue as he strode forward. "I don't know a lot about you, either," he confessed as he leaped onto the couch beside her, aware that their fur was brushing.

Bine snorted in amusement. "I asked to talk about you first," she pointed as she nearly cuffed his ears. "So, why did you need our ship and our help?"

Halftail bit his lip. "Kanan and I were Jedi. Something happened and the clones attacked and tried to kill us. We couldn't have our ship anymore or we'd be killed and we also needed someone to trust."

"Do you trust me," inquired Bine as she forced Halftail to look into her shinning, blue eyes.

Halftail smiled. "I do. I stuck up for you, didn't I?" He felt his heart beat madly in his chest. He had no idea why this was happening to him. This had never happened before.

"Why did you do that," wondered Bine as she drew back a bit. "No one has only done that for me before besides Hera. Why would you risk your pelt for mine?"

"Jedi training," lied Halftail as he looked away as she drew back. "It always prepares you to help those who need your help and I saw that you needed my help. You needed that wing of food more than they did."

Bine sighed. "Yeah, I'll take any scraps," she purred before she rested her head on her paws again. "You probably think less of me because of that."

Halftail shook his head madly. "No way! I've had to do the same thing," he pointed out as he touched his nose to her ear to comfort her. "It's how we survive."

Bine perked up a bit. "What about your name really? You couldn't have been born the name Halftail," she meowed as she gingerly touched her luxurious tail with his. He flinched a bit but he allowed her to run her tail around his.

Halftail shook his head vigorously. "You're right. However, I don't deserve to be called by my real name," he argued as he growled under his breath.

"And why is that," breathed Bine as her breath bathed his muzzle as she leaned forward.

"A lot of people have died because of me," whimpered Halftail as he saw his Master laying in front of him with blood bubbling from his lips. He loved his Master like a father, despite what the code had said, so his death had felt like a dagger to the heart.