Chapter 102: Separated

Halftail leaned forward, trying to take up as little space as possible. Everyone was clambered in the cockpit, looking at the planet that he had once visited when he was a Padawan.

    "What is it," asked Swifttail stiffly.

    "Geonosis," answered Kanan over his shoulders as he sighed heavily. "A lot of battles were fought there long ago."

    "And now it's the head of a new station. Bugs probably let the Empire build it there," cut in Halftail as he lifted his hind leg to scratch himself behind his ears, yawning.

    Hera swiveled around in his chair. "Chopper, scan for lifeforms."

    Chopper beeped as he obeyed, rolling over to one of the control panels. However, he drew back and his dome whirled on his head.

    "What do you mean that there's nothing there," murmured Rex as he called from the canon. "That whole planet was infected with bugs. How can there be no life?"

    Kanan pointed to the base. "Land there and we'll see what we can do."

    Hera nodded as they touched down on the base. It appeared dark and run down. It didn't appear that anyone had been there in years, let alone months. But, it didn't look like it was of any concern and Halftail thought that it would be an easy in and out.

    "Can we go too," begged Blizzardstorm as he looked up at his grandfather.

    Halftail nudged him backwards. "I'm sorry, little one, but I don't think that that's a good idea. Maybe next time." He kinked his tail over his shoulders. "Swifttail, Keen, let's go."

    They leaped down and strode forward silently, making sure that they were extremely careful about where they were going. There was a sudden darkness that washed over him.

    "Halftail, I can smell something," murmured Keen as he lifted his head, his nostrils twitching slightly. He then snorted and looked down. "I just don't know what it is."

    Halftail drew close to him and tried to scent the air. His scent was as blocked as Keen's. "Alright, tell me if you smell anything or if you know what it is."

    They continued forward while Keen rubbed at his nose with the side of his paw. "I can smell it again." His ears shot straight up as well as his fur along his neck. "Now I can hear something."

    "So can I." Halftail sniffed hard. "Ambush!"

    A door opened in front of them with Stormtroopers launching forward. Halftail took out his lightsabers and deflected the shots, flipping and turning slightly at the blasts that rained upon them.

    He drew toward Kanan and Kanan took out his comm. "Spector 2 to Ghost. We're having a problem and we need to be prepped to go. A black droid is trying to keep us out."

    Halftail continued to deflect the blaster fire as he saw Zeb and Molis fighting a while off. "Molis," he yowled as he forced himself to take a few steps back.

    "We'll meet you at the ship," howled Zeb over his shoulder, raising his weapon as he wrestled with the commander.

    They continued be forced back until Halftail made a run to the Ghost, making sure that his lightsaber was in his half tail so he could protect Keen and Swifttail as they ran. They darted forward and Ezra stayed on the edge of the Ghost.

    "Zeb," he cried.

    Swifttail sunk his teeth into Ezra's leg and pulled him backwards. "We have to go," he mumbled as the Ghost quaked and Swifttail fell sideways.