Chapter 22: Is Everyone Okay?

When Halftail opened his eyes, he saw a black figure trying to unfasten his seatbelt. His first response was to lash out, but a hand rested on his arm. "It's....me....Halftail," the voice wheezed.

    Halftail realized that it was Kanan. He obeyed as Kanan undid his seatbelt. He flew forward on the front glass, struggling to he push himself weakly to his paws. He realized that he was burned and his whiskers were singed, causing pain to sear through his body. His attention wasn't on himself or on his wounds. He was more worried about everyone else. "Are you okay," he wondered, looking at Kanan.

    Kanan let out a cough. "I will be, but we have to get out of here. We have to put out the fire from the outside," he answered as he grasped Halftail's scruff and hauled him upward.

    The ship was at a strange angle and it was difficult to maneuver through everything. Every step was dangerous but Halftail was able to use his taunt muscles and long claws to his advantage. It would be easier for him to make his way than anyone else. He managed to find a small opening from one of the doors and pushed through.

    He landed in a thick pile of vines and it slightly jolted him. He looked around, but he couldn't see anyone else. "Hera? Adler? Molis? Swifttail?!"

    Kanan leaped beside him and tried to calm him. "It's okay. They're safe. They're in a cave not far from here. You were the hardest to get at."

    Halftail's mind whirled. "Is everyone alright?" Kanan didn't answer the question. Rage spilled in Halftail. "Is everyone alright?"

    Kanan just nudged Halftail's shoulder a bit. "I'll show you where they are. You'll feel much better once you get cleaned up," he murmured briskly. Halftail narrowed his eyes, knowing that something was wrong. A cold feeling seeped through him as he forced himself to follow Kanan.

    After walking for a while, Halftail saw a small cave. Molis was at the entrance, probably guarding and watching to make sure no creatures got an ideas. Once he saw Halftail, he rushed to him and touched noses with him. "Thank Starbound that you're alright! I thought you were lost in the flames but Kanan wouldn't rest until he found you. I knew that he would find you!"

    Halftail looked up to Kanan and cleared his throat. "Er yes, I suppose his did."

    Molis shook his head. "There's a small pool we can clean you and your burns up," he barked as he got behind Halftail and forced him forward with a firm push. Halftail lumbered forward, his eyes adjusting to the darkness in the cave.

    He saw Hera first, who was wetting a leaf and pressing it against Zeb's arm. He had a large gash that seemed painful and irritated by the fire and smoke. He grimaced in pain as Hera gingerly tried to soothe his wounds while murmuring gently.

    "We took a pretty big hit," confessed Molis as he looked up to Halftail. "But we'll be alright."

    "Where's Swifttail," Halftail managed to choke out, but just doing that was painful. He didn't see him with anyone and panic flared in him. "Where's my son?!" He turned to face Molis and Molis stood rigid in fear of Halftail.

    Kanan pointed a finger past Zeb and Sabine. Halftail padded forward, but Sabine kept her gaze downcast and tears fell from her eyes. He pushed forward, although his paws felt like stone. He pushed his head forward and saw Adler, Birch, and Swifttail clustered around the limp and unmoving figure of Sorrel.

    Halftail rushed forward, his eyes wide. "W-What," he gasped as he lowered down and touched his nose to Sorrel's neck, feeling no pulse. "What, what, what..." He couldn't actually ask the question. It was too painful.