Chapter 62: Lightsaber Mishap

Halftail scooped up a rock in his paws and threw it at Keen. Keen raised his lightsaber, gripping it expertly in his wings. However, the rock just ended up hitting him between the ears.

Keen swore under his breath, shaking his head, seeing stars. "You okay," whispered Swifttail as he flicked his tail against Keen's ear.

Keen sighed heavily. "Sorry. I'm just not that focused today."

Swifttail deactivated his lightsaber and pressed against Keen. Keen was growing quickly, and soon he would be much larger than Swifttail, but until then, Swifttail would continue to allow him to lean on his shoulder. Ever since they had gone to their 'Jedi Retreat' Swifttail had been extremely kind to everyone, especially Keen. They actually started to act like brothers.

"What's wrong? Ezra seems to be having the same problem," pointed out Swifttail as he pointed his tail to Ezra and Kanan. Ezra fell backwards as Kanan hit him on his helmet.

Keen shrugged, shoulders rippling. "I don't know about Ezra, but I'm looking forward to Senator Gall Trayvis's message," he announced as he turned his muzzle proudly upward.

Halftail was about to say something, but Swifttail beat him to it. "I know that it's exciting, but it's good to keep your head in the present. Can you try for me?"

Keen's eyes glowed. "Okay! Let's try again."

Halftail was surprised at how Swifttail could handle Keen when he wanted to. He would make an excellent father one day.

Halftail shook his head to clear it. Swifttail should never be a father because he knew what might happen. But he also knew that Swifttail wouldn't listen to him and he was pretty sure he knew what was going to happen. It wasn't his fault that Swifttail wouldn't listen to his warning, right?

"Let's go again, Dad," called Swifttail as he activated his lightsaber once more. He stood in his hind legs and wrapped his paws around his lightsaber surely. He seemed so confident although he had just built his lightsaber a few moons ago.

Halftail nodded calmly. "Try slicing this time and try not to deflect anything toward Ezra. They're working on something else," he called as he tossed another rock at Swifttail.

Swifttail took a step and easily sliced it in half with a flick of his lightsaber. His paws weren't on the ground surely, making him easy to knock over, but Halftail would address that later. He tossed another rock over to Keen. Keen turned his wing and easily sliced it just as Swifttail had. His chest puffed out in pride and Halftail couldn't help but purr.

"How about we try closing your eyes. That should make things a little more difficult," suggested Halftail as he took out a blaster. He set it to a light stun that would just jolt them as if they hit their paw against a wall.

Swifttail closed his eyes first so Halftail aimed at his chest. Swifttail went to deflect it, but his just missed and it hit his chest. He yelped in shock, stumbling backwards. He shook his head in the aftermath, growling slightly. He opened his eyes and took in a labored breath before he repositioned his stance.

"That's alright," called Halftail as he readied to fire at Keen. "Just try again. Concentrate and use the force to feel where the shot is coming."

He fired at Keen and it ended up hitting his wing. The stun shocked him and he dropped his lightsaber in surprise. His lightsaber sliced through his muzzle when he dropped it, sending him gasping in agony. When his lightsaber hit the ground, it deactivated, but there was still a major burn on Keen's muzzle.

Keen collapsed, his paws flicking painfully over his muzzle. Swifttail deactivated his lightsaber and lowered beside his friend in alarm. "Dad! Help!"