Chapter 34: Weapons Interception

A few weeks later. a mission hadn't gone according to plan. They had gotten away, but barely. "See, I told you that we'd make it," assured Kanan, now that everyone was in the cockpit.

    "We barely made it out," pointed out Bluefeather as she rolled her eyes. "But, if you mean barely, then yes, we made it with plenty of fur to spare."

    Kanan ignored her bad attitude, but the rest of the crew wasn't finished. "You said we'd make it out with the supplies," pointed out Sabine as she turned to look at Kanan.

"We were close," offered Kanan with a fake smile.

Halftail rolled his eyes. "Close doesn't pay," he pointed out stiffly. He was a lot more cautious with credits since he used twice as much medication as he used to.

"It doesn't place food on the table," added Ezra.

"Or fuel in the tanks," muttered Hera as she added to the heat that Kanan was beginning to feel.

Kanan crossed his arms against his chest and sighed. "There's always what Vasago suggested."

Adlerleaf and Birchfoot exchanged a glance. Halftail always wished he could tell what they were thinking, but he supposed it must have been a twin thing. "I don't trust Vasago," meowed Adlerleaf with slitted eyes. "He is a shady character at best."

Swifttail shook his head gravely. "Perhaps, but he has kept the Ghost flying for many moons. Besides, it sounds a lot safer than Kanan's last plan."

"Hey," snapped Kanan as he narrowed his eyes at Swifttail.

Swifttail shrugged, and before things could escalate, Hera broke in. "I think that it's our best option. All in favor?"

Everyone except for Molis, Adlerleaf, and Birchfoot raised their hands, tails, paws, or whatever else they could. Halftail dipped it's head. "It's settled then," he meowed as he looked to Hera. "You know what to do."

Hera smiled as she forced the Ghost forward. "Here we go."

As they entered hyperspace, Halftail turned and strode into the hanger. Swifttail followed with Keen at his side. "Could we do some quick battle training," asked Swifttail hopefully.

Halftail dipped his head. "Sure! I'll demonstrate and then you two can practice with each other," he meowed as he stretched out before he leaped down with some help from the ladder. Keen flew down while Swifttail leaped down the ladder, just like his father had done. He puffed out his fur as he strode over to Swifttail before Keen landed. Keen plastered his wings against his side as he strode forward.

Halftail looked over and flicked his tail to Swifttail. "Stand across from me and I'll show you something simple that can be quite a game changer in a claw to claw battle." Swifttail obeyed before Halftail surged forward. He thrust his son's paws out from under him with a quick swipe before he butted his head against Swifttail's chest. Swifttail fell backwards, the wind knocked out of him. He coughed heavily as he struggled to breathe.

"I want to try," yipped Keen as he darted forward, helping Swifttail to his paws.

Swifttail let out another harsh cough. "That hurt, but I can see how that could be used," he rasped as he shook his head to clear it.

Halftail smiled. "Just be very careful when you practice with each other. I don't need anyone winded while we're traveling or they'll think something is up."

The two dipped their heads before Halftail allowed them to practice against each other. He watched for a while, but once they had the general idea down, he decided to go and speak with Birchfoot. He found him in his usual spot and saw Birchfoot sorting some herbs into piles.