Chapter 4: Midnight Meeting

Halftail crept from his room once Kanan had begun to snore, letting him know that not even a thunderstorm could wake him up. He strode from the door and bounded down the hallway, slipping through as silently as possible. He was suddenly thankful for not only his Jedi training, but also the training that his Master was able to give him on the normal practice of creatures such as them. They were pumas and bobcats, who were known to be silent hunters as they moved through the night. Halftail was thankful that it was of use to him this instance and not only during a hunt or during tracking. He slid into the living room and he saw that Bine was waiting for him with bright eyes and her tail curled around her paws.

    "I thought you weren't coming," she chuckled.

    Halftail shook his head. "I would never miss this! I just had to wait until Kanan was asleep so he wouldn't ask any questions," he meowed calmly. "I don't need Kanan's questions right now."

    Bine smiled timidly. "Hera has the ship on autopilot as we travel through hyperspace, so there's no way she's waking up," she assured before she took a step forward and Halftail was, once again, captivated by her eyes. He wasn't sure why those eyes were so intriguing, but they pulled him in deeper than any meditation or trance ever had.

    "That's good," breathed Halftail as he smiled sheepishly. He wasn't sure why he felt suddenly shy. "Because we don't need anyone to know about this yet."

    Bine chuckled warmly. "Very true." She blinked her eyes and gazed into his.

    "Have you ever said that thing that you said to me earlier to anyone else," wondered Halftail as he shuffled his paws a bit under him.

    Bine rolled her eyes. "Oh yeah! All the time to every tom that I meet," she teased as she flicked a paw forward, her claws extended a bit.

    Halftail let out a playful growl and cuffed one of her ears in turn, but she ducked away quickly before he could land the playful blow. "I was being serious! How could you tell how I was feeling," he inquired. Supposedly Jedi could, like himself, but he wasn't sure if ever day creatures could.

    Bine purred. "You don't have to be a Jedi to tell what is going on inside your head, Halftail. Like I said, I saw you staring at me like that and I could tell what that meant."

    Halftail blushed at the thought that he could be an open book to her. "I'm sorry that it was so sudden. It usually doesn't happen to me like that but-"

    "It's fine, Halftail," assured Bine as she took a step forward and smiled at him. "You don't have to apologize for anything. We can figure these things out as we go. Besides, we're going to be rebels together, right?" She lowered into a playful crouch and shot out a jab at him.

    He let her hit him and he jolted sideways a bit before he leaped and brought her to the ground, using his full weight. "Right," he agreed as he swished half of his tail behind him playfully.

    Bine then gingerly pushed him off and sighed heavily. "Should we let Hera or Kanan know?"

    Halftail knew Kanan and he was sure that he'd find out, but if he didn't fess up to it, Kanan might not jab as hard. "No," he answered with a shake of his head. "What Kanan and Hera don't know won't hurt them."

    "You're so secretive," murmured Bine as she took a step forward and brushed her head against Halftail's shoulder. "Surely you should let someone know some things about you."

    He wanted to tell Bine that he was telling her things, but it wasn't anything deep or that someone who just looked at him wouldn't know. "Maybe I'll learn from you," he joked as he rested his head between her shoulder blades.

    She took a step back and fluffed out her white and black spotted fur. "You have a lot more than that to learn from me," she teased before she touched her nose to his.

He felt his heart thump madly once more. One day of not being a Jedi and he was already breaking a major code in beginning to fall in love with Bine. He closed his eyes and sighed heavily. Master, forgive me!