Chapter 20: Avalanche

Halftail trudged through Hoth, his ears plastered against his head and his fur puffed out to try and shield the harsh winds from his body. It wasn't working. Each time the wind blew, it felt like claws of ice sinking into his pelt. His teeth chattered and he couldn't see anything around him beside whiteness.

    "Swifttail!" yowled Halftail as loudly as he could. He pricked his ears, but heard nothing. He shook his head again and trudged forward as the wind picked up. He tasted the air, hoping to detect his son's scent.

    However, all he could scent was snow and ice. He also could tell a storm was coming and he wanted to make sure both of them weren't caught in it. He continued up a large cliff, struggling to propel himself forward. He began to slip and slide, unable to keep himself upright. Once he even fell on his side in the snow, the cold causing his body to tremble and quake when he tried to right himself and walk. He couldn't keep doing much more of this.

    The only thing that gave him hope was Swifttail's leap-prints. They were deep and easy to track. He couldn't scent Swifttail, but he knew how a Snow Leopard ran in the snow, thanks to Bine.

    Once he had moved forward a bit more, he raised his muzzle. "Swifttail!" Again, no answer. He sighed heavily, shaking his head as he muttered under his breath. He forced his shoulders forward to brace the wind as he continued forward as the wind picked up again.

    He suddenly stopped as the leap-prints suddenly vanished. He frowned, but he turned and looked into an icy cavern. He pushed inside, but he realized how tight it was. He squeezed in as much of his fur as possible as he leaped forward, struggling not to make too much noise. The ice could fall at any time.

    He heard sniffs and realized that it had to be Swifttail. "Swifttail," meowed Halftail as he drew forward, picking up the sound of his son and relief washed over him like a wave.

    He saw Swifttail pressed against the corner of the icy cavern, his head pressed into his paws. He sobbed lightly and Halftail's heart ached for him. Halftail drew forward some more and stopped when he was a whisker-length away.

    Swifttail suddenly lifted his head and swung it to face Halftail, his lips drawn back in a snarl. "Leave me alone," he bellowed as his tail lashed against the ice.

    Halftail felt things quake a bit around him and his heart skipped a beat. "Swifttail, hush. Your voice is too loud. It'll cause an avalanche."

    "I don't care! Leave me alone," snapped Swifttail as he turned away from Halftail and pressed his head against the ice.

    Halftail once again felt his heart skip a beat. "Swifttail," he pleaded as he felt the ice once again tremble around him. "Please be quiet."

    Swifttail's fur stood on end. "You killed Mother! Why should I listen to you! I don't want anything to do with you," he yelled as it suddenly echoed around.

    Ice began to fall and crumple around. Swifttail's eyes filled in terror as he turned and looked at his father. "Oh, no. Dad!" He leaped for Halftail and Halftail fell backwards from the impact of Swifttail's weight.

    "Run," ordered Halftail as he picked up Swifttail slightly by the scruff before he released him and pushed him forward. The two launched themselves forward, but Halftail took the lead. He leaped over a fallen pillar of ice before hearing a yelping and realizing Swifttail wasn't behind him. "Swifttail?"

    "Dad," whimpered Swifttail's as his paw shone from under the pillar of ice.

    Halftail darted forward and pushed his head under the pillar. He pushed it up with his shoulders and grunted with effort. "Move," he panted as he reared on his hind legs to push it up some more.