Chapter 67: Left Behind

Halftail was awoken by a hash shaking of his shoulders. He looked up and gasped when he realized it was Kanan. "Are you up for it," whispered Kanan since Swifttail was still sleeping curled up beside him.

    Halftail nodded slowly as he rose to his paws, nearly falling back, his muscles feeling like jelly. "I'm fine. Should I wake up Swifttail?"

    Kanan looked over to Swifttail who was snoring. "If you think that he's up for it. We can use all the help that we can get," he replied as he stood up and strode toward the rest of the group to discuss a plan.

    Halftail looked over to his son and jabbed a paw into his ribs. Swifttail yelped as he opened his eyes. "What gives," he mumbled as he thrust a paw over his eyes.

    "It's time to go," Halftail answered as he picked up Swifttail's tail and dragged him from the pile of clothes.

    Swifttail extended his claws before he rose to his paws and shook out his pelt. "Alright." he bounded over to Kanan, Adlerleaf, Keen, and Ezra.

    Halftail trailed after him, but stopped as he saw Birchfoot hanging back. He strode over to him and touched his nose to Birchfoot's ear. "It's going to be okay, Birchfoot."

    Birchfoot looked at his paws. "Ezra and Kanan were arguing earlier about it. I know that they're worried about what could happen," he confessed.

    Halftail's eyes lit in sympathy. "I know it's nerve racking, but we've done dangerous things before."

    "But not so soon after two members of the crew have been injured," reported Birchfoot as he clicked his teeth together in anger and fear.

    Halftail knew that he was more concerned about Adlerleaf than him. He couldn't blame him. "I'll watch out for her, I promise," he vowed as he licked Birchfoot between the ears.

    Birchfoot drew back and lashed his tail. "But who's going to look after you? You act like you're invincible, Halftail, and you're not."

    Halftail didn't need to be told that. "I know, Birchfoot. You don't need to tell me that. I promise that I'll look after myself a bit more. I just don't want anyone thinking that I'm weak."

    Birchfoot's whiskers twitched. "No one thinks that. Everyone looks up to you like a leader, just like Kanan. I just don't want anything to happen to you. One day there will come a day when I can't heal you."

That sent jolts up Halftail's spine as he shuffled his paws from under him. "I know, but until then I will continue to fight."

"Halftail," called Molis as he whipped his tail from side to side. "Are you coming?"

Halftail gave a nod before he nodded to Birchfoot. "Coming!" He touched his nose to Birchfoot's ear. "I'll see you later. Remember, don't worry."

Halftail charged after the group and saw that they were readying to board the speeders. Halftail lowered at the entrance of the hanger, his claws extended and adrenaline pumping. Adlerleaf, Swifttail, Keen, and Molis lowered beside him and readied themselves.

"Do you think that things will work with this plan," wondered Keen with round eyes.

Halftail purred as he touched his nose to Keen's ear. "I hope so, but I can't promise anything. Just stick close to me and everything will be okay."

Keen nodded before Halftail surged forward, leading the charge alongside of the speeders that everyone else was riding. It wasn't long before Adlerleaf took the lead as long as Sabine had the lead with her speeder. Halftail and Swifttail went one way while Molis and Keen went the other. Their goal was to wrap around and come together for a surprise attack. Halftail had gotten the idea from when the lion attacked them.