Chapter 51: Childhood

Halftail darted forward, remembering that Birchfoot was behind him and couldn't keep up as well. Swifttail managed to keep up with Kanan and it wasn't long before they made it to what Halftail thought was a parade. He had never been to a parade before, especially one like this.

    "Are you going to make it," inquired Halftail as he stopped a bit and allowed Birchfoot to catch up.

    Birchfoot panted madly as he clambered up beside Halftail. "Don't worry about me," assured Birchfoot as he shook his head to clear it. "I'll make it there. It would be rude not to join in with the festivities."

    Halftail's whiskers twitched in amusement. They kept forward in an attempt to make good time, but eventually Birchfoot had to lean against him. Still, they made it to the parade in good time. Birchfoot's eyes widened in shock as he saw all the Imperial officers and ships lined up.

    "Don't worry," purred Halftail as he touched his nose to Birchfoot's ear. "I looks less intimidating up close. It's just like the Ghost, sort of."

    Birchfoot nodded as Halftail tiptoed forward with Birchfoot following. They strode after Kanan behind enemy lines. However, no one was paying attention to them since they were looking for what appeared to be a Rodian.

    Birchfoot slowed a bit, but Halftail shoved him harshly in the haunch. "Don't stop now!"

    Birchfoot grunted as he continued forward, colliding with Kanan's calf. He fell backwards and he shook his head to clear it, half of his whiskers pressed against his face. He suddenly jumped as fireworks exploded in the sky.

    "What's that," he gasped as his eyes widened.

    Swifttail jumped forward and landed beside Birchfoot gingerly. "This is our cue," he answered as Kanan tossed him a grenade. He caught it between his jaws gingerly and crept forward, his underbelly nearly grazing the ground.

    Kanan tossed another one to Halftail. He caught it in his jaws as well and he darted forward, his tail tip lashing. He strode over to a TIE and thrust it against it. It attached to it easily and Halftail purred as he rushed. He darted over to Kanan with Swifttail right behind him.

    "What are you doing back here," snapped a Stormtrooper and Halftail couldn't help but freeze. He noticed Birchfoot's eyes widened as he froze in alarm. Halftail frowned as he ran his tail along his spine in an attempt to keep him calm.

    Everyone looked at each other before Kanan stepped forward. "Isn't it beautiful! All of the pretty lights up in the sky. It reminds me of a rainbow," Kanan gasped and for a heartbeat Halftail had no idea what he was getting at. He then remembered what they had learned when they were Padawans. When it came down to it act dumb.

    "This is just the best day ever! I can't believe that it's finally here! I waited 364 days for this moment," breathed Halftail as he swayed a bit on his paws, acting a bit intoxicated.

    Swifttail purred in agreements, his eyes glittering in excitement. Birchfoot was still was frozen in fear. Halftail kicked Birchfoot slightly and Birchfoot tried to snap out of his fearfully trance, but his voice came out gravely and fearful. "The Empire is so cool. Yeah....Empire."

    Now that certainly didn't convince the Stormtrooper. He was about to say something, but before he could, Ezra darted forward. "Dad, what are you doing here?"

    "Dad," echoed Swifttail as he tilted his head in confusion.

    Ezra stepped in front of the Stormtrooper and raised his hand. "Sorry mister my Dad is just really patriotic."