Chapter 32: Now They Know

The Ghost flew toward the spices mills, but it was taking awhile. That was good since Halftail was far from ready for action. He had done a lot earlier that day, but he knew that for them the work was never done. He had noticed that Keen had inched closer and closer to him as well. He wasn't sure if Keen wanted to speak with him or if Keen just didn't want to stand with Bluefeather anymore.

    "Why do you guys do this," wondered Keen as he looked upward.

    Halftail frowned as he looked back to the pup. "Why do you think that we do what we do?"

    Keen seemed a bit surprised that Halftail had answered his question with a question. "I guess because you're all so kind and you care about one another," he answered although it was clear he was just guessing.

    Keen looked back up at Halftail and Halftail purred. "We're a family and although we don't have a lot, we still want to make life better for others. We all had great lives before the Empire, and so did everyone else. No one deserves to die at the hands of anyone, let alone at the hands of the Empire."

    "I lost my family to the empire," confessed Keen as a growl rolled in his throat.

    Halftail blinked his eyes. "What about Bluefeather?"

    Keen shook his head as tears shown in his eyes. "She's my mother's littermate. She was the only one left after..." He trailed off as he rose to his paws and strode away. Halftail watched, wanting to go after him, but he quickly realizing he didn't know what to say.

    "He'll be alright," assured Adlerleaf as she bounded over to Halftail's side.

    Halftail turned and looked over to Adlerleaf with surprise in his eyes. "Did you know?"

    Adlerleaf looked in the direction that Keen had disappeared before nodding slowly. "Yeah, I knew," she sighed as she hung her head. "I heard him speaking with Bluefeather. Apparently he lost his family to the Empire, his mother and his father."

    Halftail knew how it felt to lose those that he loved. He knew that Keen was a good pup, he just needed some guidance. However, Halftail wasn't sure if he was the one to guide Keen or not.

    "We're almost here," announced Swifttail as he struggled forward, nearly limping as bad as Bichfoot usually did.

    Halftail narrowed his eyes. "I don't think so. You can barely walk. How do you think you'll be able to do any good in a fight," he chided harshly as his sub of a tail lashed.

    Swifttail looked like he wanted to argue, but he knew that arguing with his father would get him nowhere, except into an argument. "Alright, but who's going to take my place?"

    "I will," answered Bluefeather as she took a step forward, her eyes gleaming with determination.

    Swifttail plastered his ears against his head in defiance. "We can't even begin to trust you," Swifttail argued as the fur along his shoulders bristled.

    Bluefeather looked over to Halftail. Halftail didn't trust her either, but they couldn't be one crew member down. "Don't worry, Swifttail. I'll make sure that she doesn't step out of line."

    Bluefeather passed both of the toms with her tail kinked over her back. "I won't." Her voice was tense as she passed them and Halftail knew that she didn't trust them anymore than they trusted her.

    Kanan came by with Zeb and Ezra at his side. Halftail saw Molis and Birchfoot following. "Are you coming, Halftail," asked Molis as he stopped at his side.

    Halftail bunched his muscles. "Yes, I am. Swifttail is staying behind, but Bluefeather will accompany us," he answered.

    "Bluefeather," echoed Molis as he smiled a bit. He seemed like he was the only one that was actually alright with Halftail bringing her along. "I can look after her if you want?"