Chapter 76: The Dark Figure

The fur along Halftail's spine stood on end as he looked around madly. "We have to get out of here, now," he yowled as he looked around before he bounded up the ladder and toward Keen's room.

    He barged in and saw Swifttail standing with Keen in the corner, his tail thrust against Keen's mouth to keep him from talking. Halftail snuck forward, halting as Swifttail shook his head vigorously. Halftail stopped and looked toward one window and saw Stormtroopers marching outside.

    Halftail froze as he looked in. He flicked his paw toward the two and Swifttail picked up Keen by the scruff. Keen was about to let out a yelp, but Swifttail shoved his tail back into Keen's mouth. Once Keen was calm, Swifttail pushed his head against Keen's haunch, forcing him to move. Keen skidded forward and darted behind Halftail with his ears plastered against his head. "I'm scared, Halftail," whimpered Keen as he shoved his muzzle into Halftail's shoulder.

    Halftail draped his tail around Keen before he lowered down, stretching out a paw. "Come on, Swifttail. He's not looking right now."

    Swifttail looked over his shoulder before he lunged forward. His hind leg caught on a stone and he gasped in pain. The Stormtrooper gazed in and saw the three with their fur plastered against their bodies, eyes round and wide. "They're in there! They're in there," he shouted as he began to shoot through the window.

    Swifttail darted forward and Halftail made sure that the two were down the hallway before he followed them on light and nimble paws. He stopped at the opening, looking in and seeing that a bomb had been thrown. "Hurry!"

    As he spoke, he felt an impact and it threw him against the wall. He grunted as he landed before he thrust a paw over his eyes to keep the dust and debris from them. When he felt the heat of the explosion he knew that he couldn't hide from it anymore.

    Bluefeather was the first one to her paws and she looked around madly. "We have to leave! This place is destroyed," she wailed as she looked at everyone laying around.

    Halftail darted to his paws despite the pain that he felt. They just couldn't catch a break. He sprang over to Swifttail and rolled him on his back. Swifttail took in a labored breath. "Get up," Halftail ordered as Swifttail drowsily rose to his paws.

    Adlerleaf was next and she began to lick Kanan's face. Kanan eventually lifted his head and narrowed his eyes at Adlerleaf. Adlerleaf pushed him to his feet and it was then that everyone else sort of fell into line. They darted out of any entrances that they could before they quickly scaled a building.

    Halftail felt where his pelt had been singed and burned, but it didn't faze him. He was the first one across a thick wire, and when he looked behind him at Keen's face, it made him want to cry. Keen's face just showed the grief that he had felt over losing his parents all over again. Now there would be no sign that they had even lived there.

    Halftail flicked his tail and Kanan followed. "How could someone be so cruel," whispered Halftail into his chest fur.

    Kanan stretched out a hand and scratched Halftail behind an ear. That usually made Halftail perk up, but today it just made him feel worse. Halftail didn't want to push him to grow up, but part of being a Jedi was leaving your family. Things were different now. However, that didn't mean that the ideals shouldn't be upheld. He would try a bit more to help Keen feel more secure; even after losing his home.

    "It's the Empire," breathed Kanan as he passed Halftail on the wire. "Does anything really surprise you?"

    Halftail had to admit that he had a point, but then again, the Empire didn't have to kill everyone, nor did they have to make Lothal look like a terrorist planet. "Let's just keep moving," hissed Halftail as he stalked forward.