Chapter 88: Getting Older

Halftail blinked open his eyes and saw Bine standing across from him. She purred as she took a step forward and brushed her nose against his cheek. Halftail reached out a paw and pressed it against her cheek, brushing his pad against her fuzzy cheek. She felt so soft and peaceful against Halftail.

    "How are you feeling," inquired Bine as she pushed her head against Halftail's chest. She felt his muscles tense at her sudden touch. She was trying to figure out if he was breathing alright. She knew that he had trouble breathing after his latest fit.

    Halftail knew what she was doing but he didn't care. He liked the fact that Bine was worried about him. She had used to take great care of him when she had still been alive and he was younger. "I'm alright. I miss you, though. I wish that you were with me. You always had a way of making me feel better."

    Bine blinked her eyes slowly and sighed heavily. "I don't know about that. You were pretty good without me," she argued with downcast eyes.

    Halftail shook his head madly. He took a step forward and licked Bine between the eyes. "I was never good without you," he muttered just so that she knew that he loved her. "Even if you didn't know what to do, you tried. I mean, the crew is great, but you just had this magic touch."

    "Magic touch," joked Bine as she touched her nose to Halftail's shoulder. "I'm not so sure about that. I just think that you love me too much to think that I was doing things for my own good."

    Halftail purred in amusement as he reared on his hind legs. He pushed his head onto Bine's shoulder and pushed her down. She rolled sideways as her own eyes lit in amusement. She purred, darting to her paws and leaped onto Halftail's shoulders. She sunk her claws gingerly into Halftail's shoulder before she grasped his scruff between sharp teeth. She tried to thrust him down a bit, but Halftail was stronger than she was.

    He turned and thrust her down easily. She landed harshly and Halftail tackled her, pushing his paws against her shoulders to hold her down. "You're not the best fighter between the two of us anymore," joked Halftail as he brushed his nose into her cheek, purring nosily.

    Bine thought about pushing Halftail from her but decided against it. She enjoyed being this close to Halftail just like before. She purred as she turned her head and sunk her teeth into Halftail's ear playfully. Halftail pulled himself off of her and sighed heavily with his ears twitching. He drew away from her, but he couldn't stay away for long. She took a step forward and they intertwined tails. She ran her long tail tip against Halftail's half cut tail, causing him to shiver. She had never really minded that he only had half of a tail, even if it made intertwining tails harder.

    "I really miss you," breathed Halftail as grief made his throat feel as though it would close.

    Bine shook her head cautiously. "I miss you too. I know that you don't want to take another mate, but I don't think that we can keep doing this, Halftail," she argued as she shook out her fur.

    "And why not," gasped Halftail as his whiskers twitched, still pressed against Bine. He wasn't about to draw away from her.

    Bine shrugged. "I don't know. I suppose that we could, but don't you suppose that not sleeping is only going to add to your problems," she pointed out thoughtfully.

    Halftail didn't care if he got worse, as long as he could spend time with Bine. He loved her too much to be apart from her. He knew that most relationships didn't last long during the wars, but he couldn't imagine ever falling out of love from Bine. It just wouldn't happen. "I would love that as long as you do," he meowed as he kinked both of their tails over their backs and part of her tail brushed against his spine, making him shiver. They hadn't been this close for this long in a while.