Chapter 9: New Life

"That was brilliant," exclaimed Sorrel as her whiskers twitched. "You did what would have taken Sabine and I weeks in just two days!"

    "It's not that simple," chuckled Hera as she kneeled down and stroked the ocelot between the ears. "But they did do pretty well."

    Kanan and Halftail opened the crate and found food, supplies, weapons, and armor that the Empire was taking from Mandalor and using for their own selfish greed. "Another crate that the Empire doesn't get," laughed Kanan as he stretched out his hands to ruffle the fur on the side of Halftail's face.

    Bine strode over to Sorrel. "You did pretty good out there. Not bad for a cat that doesn't have the basic grasp of battle training," she praised.

    Sorrel ducked her head in embarrassment. "My father died before he could finish teaching me any moves. I sort of just taught myself," she mumbled into her chest fur.

    "That's alright," meowed Halftail as he sat down and licked a paw before he drew it over his ears. He couldn't believe how dusty Mandalor could be and how it caked his fur. "I can teach you."

    "Really," breathed Sorrel as her eyes widened so that Halftail could only see bright green of her eyes and her dark pupils. "You'd do that?!"

    Halftail purred as she bounded over and he touched his nose to Sorrel's ear. "I would," he meowed as he looked over to Kanan as he draped his half tail over her shoulder. "If you and Sabine would join our crew."

    Sabine seemed a bit shocked. "And why would we do that?"

    "We can help protect you from things you didn't even know were out there, things worse than the Empire," answered Molis as he gave a brief nod to Halftail. To Halftail's surprise, he let him speak.

    Sorrel wrinkled her nose. "There can't be anything worse than the Empire."

    Bine sat beside Halftail and they were so close that their fur brushed. "Oh, you'd be surprised," she meowed as she bobbed Sorrel gingerly on the nose with her claws sheathed. "You don't know unless you explore."

    "We also can raid the Empire of all their 'precious goods'," grumbled Zeb with a wild look in his eyes.

    Kanan and Hera exchanged a glance. "We're rebels, not bandits," Hera argued as she pointed at Zeb. "You'd get a lot more action here, but the rewards aren't bad."

    Sorrel looked up at Sabine. "That's what we've been doing," she argued as she pointed at Halftail and Bine. "And they would help teach me things I need to learn. Can't we just give them a chance, please?"

    Sabine crossed her arms. "What if we get caught by the Empire?"

    Halftail dipped his head. "Same thing if you would have gotten caught. Death, probably," he replied simply. No need to sugarcoat things.

    "But we fight together and we wouldn't let anyone kill anyone without a fight," broke in Bine as she stared at Sorrel and Sabine. "It's your choice."

    Sorrel seemed hopeful but Halftail could still see Sabine hesitating. "We could use your skill set. I know that you'd be perfect assets, but we can't force you to stay," he pointed out as he looked to Sorrel. "You have to be willing."

    Sorrel looked up to Sabine once more and she finally nodded slowly. Sorrel purred as she wove around Sabine's legs before she darted over to Halftail, swiping a sheathed paw against his nose. "Show me how real cats fight," she jabbed as excitement rose in her voice.

    "Quietly," teased Bine as she lowered beside Sorrel. "Stop running like a rabbit. Stay in a comfortable position and prepare yourself. If you have to move, you do, but if you don't have to move, you won't."