Chapter 52: Empire Day Is Over, For Good

It wasn't long before Ezra and Keen came up from the manhole with Sabine following. "I found something," Sabine announced as she came over and tapped something on the machine attached to Zebo.

    Bright images flashed in front of them. Halftail's mind whirled as they changed quickly in front of his line of vision. It was encrypted and he couldn't make out any of it. To his relief, Swifttail asked the question that he was too afraid to.

    "What is it," asked Swifttail as he tried to make out the encryption as well through narrowed eyes. However, he seemed just as confused, or even more confused than Halftail.

    Sabine smiled. "It's the Empire's five year plan on Lothal! That's probably why they want Zebo," she told them with reservation in her voice.

    Halftail let out a sigh at the thought. "I don't even want to know what would happen if they got ahold of it or him. He must have ran when he figured out what he had."

    Ezra didn't seem as convinced. "Well, we can't keep him here," pointed out Kanan before Zebo ran into a wall and fell backwards. "Quickly."

    "How are we going to do that," inquired Adlerleaf as she looked at Zebo and rolled her eyes. "Empire Day is almost over and he's not exactly quiet."

    Halftail thought about what they should do as he worked his claws against the peaty ground. "We'll just need to fight our way out," he answered curtly.

    Kanan and Sabine nodded while Adlerleaf and Swifttail puffed out their fur in determination. Ezra and Keen didn't seem as excited, but it didn't look they were going to argue. Once they decided on a plan, Sabine and Adlerleaf strode from the building. Once they took down a few Stormtroopers that littered their path, the rest of the group followed swiftly.

    Halftail saw a Stormtrooper point his blaster at Swifttail and he surged forward on pure instinct. He sunk his teeth into the Stormtrooper's leg and pulled harshly. He fell on his back as Halftail lashed out a firm paw against his head, knocking him out while his paw throbbed in agony. The Stormtrooper lay ominously still before Halftail heard Kanan yell for him.

    Halftail turned swiftly before he darted toward him and stumbled into a transport. It closed right behind him as he shook his head as Zebo pushed against him. He slid closer to Swifttail before he started to move and shift. He strode over to a window and reared on his hind legs to peer out the cracked surface. "Do we have a plan for once we get this?"

    Kanan looked back. "No, but I'm sure that if we keep going forward we'll-"

    "Head right into the Empire," broke in Adlerleaf as she pointed her claw toward large AT Walkers and other transports that tore up the surface of Lothal in front of them.

    Kanan looked blank for a second before he composed himself. "Y-Yeah that is exactly the plan," he lied and Halftail couldn't help but roll his eyes. He held his tongue fiercely, but before he could make it far, Zebo grasped Halftail's shoulders and lifted him up. "Put me down!"

    "Zebo thinks that Keeneyes was killed along with his parents. Keeneyes had Sparn and Bluebird to look after him, but now he is alive," Zebo rambled with wide, unblinking eyes. Halftail furiously tried to spin in his grip with his hind legs painfully churning against Zebo's arm. He didn't want to harm him, but he certainly didn't want to be dangled over the ground either.

    Halftail turned his head stiffly and looked over to Ezra. "A little help," he hissed as he extended his claws. His tail tip twitched irritably as he thought about where he could lash out at Zebo to release him.

    Ezra came over and tried to pry Zebo's hands off of Halftail. "Let Halftail go," grunted Ezra as he tried desperately to have Zebo release Halftail.