Chapter 81: A New Dawn

Halftail awoke the next morning from where he had just slept on the tank's porch. He didn't exactly think that it was going to rain and his bet had paid off. He found that Kanan was awake as well, staring off into the distance.

    Halftail stalked up to his friend and brushed up against his leg to make sure that Kanan knew he was there. Kanan looked down and kneeled, stroking Halftail gingerly. "They're coming; I can feel it," murmured Kanan almost in Halftail's ear.

    Halftail looked up and blinked his eyes against the rising sun. "So can I." He turned his head and saw Keen and Swifttail pressed against each other as if they were littermates. "I just wish that there could be a way that I could make sure that I can keep them safe. Right now, I don't even think that I could protect myself."

    Kanan stood and leaned on the railing. "You can't feel responsible for them. They can protect themselves, Halftail. Don't act like they can't."

    Halftail knew that they could, but that didn't mean that he couldn't or wouldn't worry. It just didn't work out like that. "Have you seen Birchfoot? He was gone when I woke up but I thought he may have went someone warmer. You know how his leg gets when the temperature drops."

    Kanan shook his head. "No, I have no idea where he went. I'd try the Phantom if I was going to look anywhere," he suggested and Halftail was ahead of him.

    He turned and climbed up the side of the tank to get to the Phantom the easiest. He peeked his head in and saw Birchfoot slumped on some of the seats. One of his paws was hanging off of it while he snored gently. Halftail stalked forward and sighed. He looked so peaceful and Halftail actually debated waking him. He finally decided on it as he reared on his hind legs, prodding a paw against Birchfoot's shoulder.

    Birchfoot sucked in a harsh breath as he woke up and his eyes struggled to focus on Halftail standing over him. "Halftail? I'm sorry, did I sleep in?"

    Halftail shook his head as he leaped up beside Birchfoot and Birchfoot sat up. "No, actually you're only the third one awake. I just thought that you wouldn't want to be awoken by Keen or Swifttail because they wouldn't be so gentle."

    "Then thanks for waking me up, gently. I have some herbs that I want you to take," meowed Birchfoot as he jumped down and landed harshly on three legs. He grunted as he dragged himself over and picked up some herbs before he set them up beside Halftail's paws.

    Halftail sniffed them before he wrinkled his nose. "I don't need any herbs, Birchfoot, but thanks for offering," he muttered as he pushed them back.

    Birchfoot lashed his tail against the ground in agitation. "You obviously do need these herbs, Halftail. You do realize that you are getting worse. These herbs should help you for this battle, but when we get back I'll have to see about actual medications."

    Halftail rolled his eyes as Birchfoot spoke. He couldn't help it. So what if he was taking more of his medication than usual? That didn't mean that he was getting worse or that he needed extra herbs. "Brichfoot, I appreciate it, but I really don't need these herbs. I'm fine."

    Birchfoot grunted as he pulled himself onto the seat next to Halftail. He extended his claws and drummed them dangerous close to Halftail's tail. "Don't make me sink my claws into your tail. I will do it," threatened Birchfoot as he made his voice low and dangerous.

    "Wolf-heart," spat Halftail as he lowered his head. He lapped at the herbs before he chewed and swallowed them. They were bitter and tasted awful, but he wanted to keep his tail away from Birchfoot's claws. He finished the herbs before he slumped back down, trying not to savor the taste for much longer.