Chapter 66: Prey For All!

Birchfoot stood in his room as he tried to force all of the herbs he had taken out for a hungry crew in their places. He was quickly running out of room. However, Birchfoot saw that as a good thing. That meant that there hadn't been a reason to use them.

    "Birchfoot," gasped a sound from behind him. Birchfoot swiftly turned to see that it was Sabine who had called his name. She darted over and leaned into the entrance of his room.

    Birchfoot pivoted calmly. "What can I do for you, Sabine?" He saw the fear in her eyes, causing the fur along his spine to stand on end. "Sabine, what's wrong?"

    Sabine gulped. "It's your sister."

    "Adlerleaf," he gasped as he darted forward, falling miserably over his lame hind leg. He growled in pain as he landed and heard the pop of his hind leg. He gritted his teeth in songs, but he wasn't about to stop and set it back when he knew that his sister was in trouble.

    He continued into the hanger bay and stopped as Keen flew in, followed by Halftail, staggering under Adlerleaf's weight. Birchfoot bounded into action. "Swifttail, get me all the herbs possible for injuries. This looks like an attack," he ordered Swifttail urgently.

    Swifttail nodded as he sped as fast as he could to grab what Birchfoot had requested. Birchfoot then turned to Molis and pointed to Halftail with his paw.

    Molis darted forward and sunk his teeth gingerly into Adlerleaf's scruff. "Careful," snarled Halftail absentmindedly. "You're going to hurt her!"

    Molis's eyes lit in surprise, but he kept hold of Adlerleaf tightly. He dragged her gingerly into the hanger. Halftail followed close behind, coughing up blood as he went along. Molis set Adlerleaf down gently at Birchfoot's paws.

    "Will she be alright," fretted Keen as he danced behind Birchfoot.

    Anger and worry made Birchfoot's ears twitch in anger. "Get back or I can't concentrate," snarled Birchfoot as he nearly thrust a paw against Keen's ear.

    Keen staggered backwards, whimpering in shock at Birchfoot's harsh tone. He stumbled behind Ezra fearfully. Ezra lowered down to scratch at Keen's ear comfortingly. "What happened?"

    "A lion attacked," answered Keen as he looked up to Ezra. "It was after our prey!'

    Birchfoot barely heard bits of the conversation, but he was more concerned about his sister. He lowered his head and pressed his nose against Adlerleaf's neck to feel for a pulse. It was faint, but it was there.

    Swifttail suddenly darted forward with numerous herbs clamped in his jaws. He set them down at Birchfoot's side with his eyes glittering in worry. "Is she going to be alright? Is there anything that I can do?"

    "See to Halftail," meowed Birchfoot dismissively as he felt Adlerleaf's pulse begin to pick up. She was unconscious, but Birchfoot hoped she would be better when she woke up.

    Swifttail reluctantly nodded as he strode over toward his father. He crouched beside him, beginning to look at the deep scratches littering his pelt. "A lion did this to you?"

    Halftail looked up with strained eyes. "All over some skimpy prey."

    Swifttail didn't say anything as he began to clean Halftail's wounds with gentle rasps of his tongue. Halftail snarled in pain and struggled not to lash out at his son. "Is Adlerleaf okay," Halftail asked after a while when the pain started to fade.

    Swifttail turned his head and saw Birchfoot help Adlerleaf stand. "I think she was just stunned. I'm really worried about you. These wounds are deep," he fretted as he began to gnaw at dead tissue so that the new tissue could grow from one of Halftail's deeper scratches.