Chapter 35: All This Trouble For Weapons

Stormtroopers appeared in front of Halftail. He was about to surge forward, but before he could, Zeb and Molis beat him to it. Just as he was about to yowl something, Kanan shot him a look, warning him against it. Halftail clamped his jaws tightly shut and he shook his head gravely.

    He watched as they began to speak. He couldn't make out what they were saying, but apprehension made his fur prickle. It seemed to be taking forever. One of the troopers went to open the crate, but before he could, Halftail threw him back into other troopers. They fell quickly, but were quick to get back to their paws.

    "Run," yowled Molis as he surged forward as he pushed his against Bluefeather's crate.

    The rest of the group pushed their crates toward the Ghost with the troopers behind them. "Hurry. Hurry," muttered Halftail as he broke into a run, struggling to keep on his hind legs. Keen flew over him and pushed from above, dodging the blasters easily. It was a good thing that Stormtroopers couldn't aim very well.

    When they finally made it to the Ghost, Swifttail and Adlerleaf helped them pull the crates in. Once everyone was in the hanger the door closed and the Ghost took off. Halftail saw Keen suck in a breath of relief. Halftail did the same and he sat as he licked a paw before he drew it over his head.

    He suddenly turned his head and saw the two protocol droids that had been on the shipment earlier. "What are they doing here," he wondered as his tail tip twitched to and fro.

    Bluefeather strode over to them. "Thought they could be worth some extra credits," she answered as she ran one of her wings gingerly over the protocol droid.

    The protocol droid jumped. "How dare you sell me. I am C3PO of human cuber relations."

    Halftail rolled his eyes as he drew near. "That name sounds familiar," he murmured, but he could not figure out where he had heard that name before. He must have not been that important, so he dropped it before he turned to see Zeb arguing with Kanan.

    "I'd prefer we not sell those weapons," Zeb told Kanan with worry glittering in his eyes.

    Molis seemed to agree and Halftail knew why. He knew that he, Kanan, Hera, and Bine had been the only ones to know. Halftail didn't want to tell anyone if Zeb and Molis weren't alright with it, but he knew that everyone was becoming interested, especially Swifttail.

    Halftail decided that maybe he could try and ease their minds. "You know, I'm sure that us taking these will have saved numerous lives!"

    Molis muttered something into his chest fur that Halftail couldn't catch. He was pretty sure that it was a sharp comment, so he bit back the urge to say something back to him, struggling to control himself.

    "We found out what they were planning to do with those weapons," blurted out Adlerleaf as she tried to make Molis and Zeb feel better in another way.

    "And I'm sure it was even more awful then what Vasago will do against the Empire," meowed Halftail as he gave her a pointed nod.

    Sabine nodded as she slid down the ladder a bit. "They are just prototypes that the Empire would use for mass genocide if they had the chance," she added as she slid down the ladder and onto the ground.

    "See," pointed out Kanan as he rested a hand on Zeb's shoulder. "It's better that we have them then the Empire." He turned and padded back toward the cockpit.

    Zeb still seemed guarded and so did Molis. Halftail touched his nose to Molis's shoulder. "I promise that it'll be alright," he assured before he padded back down to the hanger level and strode over to Swifttail.