Chapter 101: New Life

Halftail heard a yelp as Leafshine went flying through the air. He gasped as he reared on his hind legs and grasped her scruff before she slammed into the wall. The ground lurched and shook under him as he set down Leafshine gingerly, standing over her before she went flying once more.

    "T-Thanks, Halftail," panted Leafshine as she looked up to her grandfather.

    "Uh huh, just go and stay with your father. It's too dangerous to be walking around here in the middle of a battle," he told her sternly with a growl. It was bad enough to have a battle on the ground, but a battle in the sky threatened everyone around, especially kits who still hadn't learned about proper balance yet.

    She nodded as she bounded over to Birchfoot's room, where no doubt her father would be as he tried to stop Halftail's medication from falling and spilling everywhere.

    Halftail then made his way into the cockpit and saw Bluefeather and Hera struggling to keep control of the Ghost. Snowfall watched from behind them, her eyes wide as she tried to take in absolutely everything. However, this wasn't exactly the time to be learning about anything.

    "Zeb, hurry up," snapped Hera.

    Zeb's voice than rang over the comm. "I got it, Hera. You're free to go."

    The Ghost turned and Halftail nearly flew backwards. Kanan leaped in and stopped Halftail from falling against the wall and sending him into another fit. "Easy."

    "You're telling me," grumbled Halftail, but Kanan didn't move. He stayed where he was in case the Ghost shifted once more and Halftail would fall.

    It wasn't until the Ghost started to travel into hyperspace that Kanan allowed Halftail to be released. The two then made their way into the bridge and he smiled as he made his way to Snowfall.

    "Great job, Snowfall," praised Halftail as she leaped down and purred against Halftail's chest. "But, could you leave the adults to talk for a little bit?"

    Snowfall nodded. "Alright. See you later," she purred as she bounded forward, leaving the rest of them to talk freely.

    Halftail leaped up beside Kanan as the holomessage flickered on. "What happened," he asked.

    "We're losing more pilots than we can get back," sighed Hera as she leaned back in her seat, looking angry with herself.

    Kanan worked his fingers through his hair a bit. "It's been hard without a base. We need somewhere to land until then."

    "How about the Ryloth system," suggested Bluefeather as she scratched at her ear with her hind leg. "We're going to be passing that system and I've heard that it's a free system, or at least it was."

    "Ryloth," echoed Hera with a frown. She then stood up, nearly hitting her hand against Bluefeather's muzzle in her haste. "I know a contact down there. I'll contact them."

    She made her way out before Bluefeather looked to Halftail and Kanan. "What's up with her?" She then saw the panicked look in both their eyes. "What's up with you?"

    "Do you think that he'll be there," asked Halftail as he looked up to Kanan with a pleading look in his eyes. He knew the answer to that, but he would have liked to hear someone be on his side.

    Kanan grasped Halftail's shoulder surely. "Don't worry. We'll figure it out together. Do you think that I want this to happen?"

    Halftail leaped down and grumbled to himself. He made his way through the hallway as the kits exploded from Birchfoot's room. Birchfoot laughed until he caught sight of Halftail. "What's wrong with you?"